Kluson tuning key replacements ?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Hoffnar

Kluson tuning key replacements ?

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I'm thinking of switching the tuners on a steel from vintage style Klusons to something else more accurate and stable. Is there a direct replacement that pops right in without modifications so I don't screw up the keyhead ?

I'm looking at Sperzels because they are still made in the USA and I have been happy with them in the past.
Bob
Charlie Powell

Post by Charlie Powell »

An old note I had from Bryan Adams. This is what I used on my push pull.

you need to get #933 gotohs...4 bags for a d-10..there 6 keys per bag...3 rt and 3 left...you will 4 spare keys left over...you will need to drill out the screw holes with a #29 bit, makes it easy with the 4-40 machine screws used on an emmons..they are real good key..better than the old klusons...BA
Charlie Powell
Charlie Powell

Post by Charlie Powell »

Clarification - the drill out holes means to enlarge the holes on the new tuning machines. Its quick and easy
Charlie Powell
Bruce Derr

Post by Bruce Derr »

I don't know about compatible Sperzels, but Gotoh makes a good Kluson replacement. Search SGF for "Kluson Gotoh" and you'll find some past threads on this. I've got them on my P-P S-10 and they're very good. Not USA-made, unfortunately.

I haven't looked into new Klusons - It looks like they are still around.

Edit - Charlie beat me to it, with much more useful detail!
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I put Gotoh 933 tuners on every Emmons guitar I've owned in the last 15 years, including my old wraparounds and bolt-on guitars. Great improvement over the older Kluson Deluxe tuners.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Chris Harwood

Post by Chris Harwood »

The 933 Gotohs are the best by a long shot and basically look the same...same 15:1 gear ratio, but finer machine all around. The old vintage Kluson Deluxes aren't garbage (I just bought a bag full of Herb's old ones..for my project National dbl neck...good for lower importance stuff), but all my "go to" guitars get the better machines. There are some Kluson Supremes that aren't too bad that I get for my Fender 6 string elec guitars because they're 18:1 and double staggard...of course a feature you don't need in a steel. But I prefer the staggard on the non angled Fender pegheads.
You'll appreciate the Gotoh and the price is gentle...unlike banjo or Waverly tuners.
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

Are the 933 Gotohs mentioned the same as Sd90 3+3? They look like the old Klusons and the only ones I can find.
Dave Magram

Gotoh Vintage-style Oval Knob 3+3 Tuners, stewmac.com

Post by Dave Magram »

These appear to be the tuners several people are suggesting...

Gotoh Vintage-style Oval Knob 3+3 Tuners

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardw ... 33-tuners/

- Dave
Charlie Powell

Yes Brendan

Post by Charlie Powell »

Yes they are the same tuner. The last ones I purchased were most economical here: https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/t ... nob-3-side
Charlie Powell
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Thanks for the info ! I’m pretty sure I need sperzels for one of my steels. I need to be able to micro tune while I’m playing for the microtonal gigs I get. This means it really helps if I can turn the key down to lower the note instead of dropping below the note and tuning up like I do with klusons. Any slack in the mechanism makes it difficult.

Kelcey from Emmons is making me new key heads with sperzels so I won’t need to mess with refitting.

I’m thinking I should check out the gotoh’s to save the trouble though. There seems to be some basic design differences between some tuners. Are the Ghotohs the same mechanism as klusons only made a little better ?
Bob