Yamaha THR Amplifier

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul Strojan

Yamaha THR Amplifier

Post by Paul Strojan »

I have been thinking about getting one of these amps to be able to play where there might not be an outlet. Thoughts? The little three watt amp, I am using now doesn’t have the headspace to use a volume pedal.
Paul Seager

Post by Paul Seager »

I have the little THR5 which I use at home, for rehearsal (everyone else acoustic and drummer using brushes) and I have played an outdoor gig where we had to be fairly "in the background" volume-wise.

I like it mainly because I can pack it in my shoulder bag and bicycle my gear wherever (European thing)!

I've not tried gigging on batteries only. The THR5 has no EQ, just a tone control which is always rolled off. so it's down to how your instrument sounds. If it died, I would buy another Yamaha but not the THR5 - I would go for any of the louder models with better EQ!

If you look at my links below, the "Other Stuff" is the live gig where I used the amp. The other guys were going through a Bose PA but due to lack of channels, I used the Yamaha.
Paul Strojan

Post by Paul Strojan »

Thanks
Lloyd Walsh

Post by Lloyd Walsh »

I have a THR30II WL (wireless). Fantastic amp! Lots of extras hidden but accessible with the smartphone app. Like Paul (from Europe) I haven’t run it on batteries though so I can’t speak to that. The other amp I considered was Positive Grid Spark, a friend came over with one a few months back and ran it on batteries with no problems.
Hack Professor of Art
Bass player: upright/electric
Lousy Guitarist
Rookie Steel player (pedal and non-pedal)
Instagram Artwork profile: lloydwalsh7405
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Paul, how much were you looking to spend? (Battery powered amps can go up to $600.) I'd look for something with at least a bass and treble control, and many of these amps also have some built-in EFX (though they're not pro-level sounds).

I have a couple older ones, but I wouldn't recommend them for anything but room-level practicing. But the are some interesting ones out there with a little more oomph...

Boss Katana Mini-7.............$95

I-Music BP mini................$136

Coolmusic BP40-D...............$219

Boss Dual Cube LX..............$300

Boss Cube Street-2.............$349

Roland Cube Street EX-4........$581
Paul Strojan

Post by Paul Strojan »

I am not too worried about the money, I am looking for something that be a forever amp. I like the idea of rechargeable batteries, I am just curious whether it makes sense to go with the 30 amp model to provide room to use a volume pedal.