New/Used Weissenborn ‘review’ (teardrop!)

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mark Evans

New/Used Weissenborn ‘review’ (teardrop!)

Post by Mark Evans »

Have owned a number of Weissenborn-styled lap steel guitars… been curious about the ‘Teardrop’ shaped Weissenborn but never got a chance to play one. A used Lazy River teardrop showed up on the buy sell… so I took a flyer on it!

Spruce top (with a bit of nice bear-claw), mahogany back/sides. Typical excellent build by Rance at Lazy River. This guitar (vs. my Lazy River standard, all mahogany) has a very distinct voice. Sounds and plays More like a 50’s Gibson acoustic - Quick. Forward. Bluesy. Responsive. Nasally. Almost dobro-esque. More resonator sounding than any other weiss I’ve played - but in a GOOD way! I can wrestle some of that ‘pretty’ Weissenborn sound out of it… but it loves to be pushed to that barking stage. The midrange is just a kick - a growly honk.

This body style is definitely worth looking at if you play or are curious about teardrop Weiss. Definitely different tone

I like to call playing Weissenborn lap slide my last musical chapter. ‘Spanish’ style guitar playing is a rare occurrence any more in my living room.Arthritis is a given in my family. My dad played a ‘36 Epiphone Broadway rhythm guitar in swing/jazz bands from WWII thru the 70’s… but arthritis curled his fingers and curtailed his playing.

I’m looking at lap steel to be a way to be musical into my late years. Crooked fingers crossed!

Larry Pogreba Baritone 'Weissenheimer
Lazy River mahogany standard Weiss
Lazy River ‘Tear Drop” weissenborn
Larrivee OM5