What equipment is needed?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Cody Coombs

What equipment is needed?

Post by Cody Coombs »

Hi all,
I’m working on getting a good list of instrumentals together to play solo at the local Breweries, wineries, small bars, etc. I’m curious as to what equipment will be needed to make that happen? I do have a small 6 channel mixer (Yamaha MGO6X) what I can plug my iPad into for the backing tracks. I don’t have any speakers yet.

Would I need a set of small pa speakers to run the sound out to the crowd?
Would I need to mic my steel amp and run it through my mixer as well as if I would in a live band setting? What else would be needed?

Anyone with experience playing solo in small clubs please chime in with your equipment setup and how you rig it up, that would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance,
Cody
Dave Stagner

Post by Dave Stagner »

For a solo gig in a small venue without a lot of competing noise, a decent instrument amp should provide plenty of volume. You might want a PA for a mic. For PA speakers, I have a pair of the 10” Harbingers from Guitar Center, and they’re terrific. About 20 pounds each, easy to transport and set up, and multiple inputs so you can even get away without a mixer if you’re willing to be that primitive.

If your amp is loud enough to play with a drummer, it’s loud enough to play without a PA.
I don’t believe in pixie dust, but I believe in magic.

1967 ZB D-10
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

One factor you have to figure out - does your PA have a built-in amp for speakers, or not? If so, then regular "passive" pa speakers are what you need. If not, you have two options - buy powered (active) speakers, or buy passive speakers and also a PA amp to power them.

I've got a pair of Alto 10" powered speakers that work fine for me. There are many choices out there, but you don't have to throw crazy money at speakers - no one will hear the difference unless you buy totally cheapo ones.

As already noted, you should not need to mic the steel if you have a decent amp for it.
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

It might be helpful to do some field research. Drop in to the venues that you plan to play, when other folks are performing, and see what they're using.

Many solo gigs can be covered with a small amp. I have good results with a Fishman LoudBox Mini. One channel for instrument, one channel for vocal mic, additional aux input on the back of the amp.

Where that isn't enough, I'll add a single powered speaker for more volume and coverage. There are many good powered speakers, I'm using a JBL/EON 610 to amplify the XLR out signal from the mixer/amp.

Most of the new powered speaker have multiple inputs on the back, so you might be able to use just one of those with your existing mixer/computer setup.
GFI Expo S-10PE, Sho-Bud 6139, Fender 2x8 Stringmaster, Supro consoles, Dobro. And more.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I play some of the brewpubs/tap houses here in Missoula. Usually the singer just uses a small PA with one speaker That has the PA built in. Lately he has been using a Bose PA that looks like a pole. I never mic my amp in those situations. They usually don't want you playing loud, like nightclub volumes. They want people to be able to converse comfortably.

If you are going solo, you will need something to play your backing tracks. That could be a PA or amp that will accept a CD type input (like a Nashville 112) and an instrument input. If you are planning to sing, a PA would be best. Or use a small mixer into a powered speaker that would sound decent with your steel guitar (I would prefer to use my regular amp though).
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

If all you need a mic for is "Thank you" and "This next song is called...", you could just run it through the amp and maybe dispense with a PA.
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Buy a Fender Tonemaster twin reverb amp. Put your steel in the reverb channel, and your PA with tracks and mike in the other channel and you are good to go.
Cody Coombs

Post by Cody Coombs »

So essentially, I need a way to play my backing tracks. So a mixer isn’t necessary due to some small power PA speakers do have a small mixer onboard. And my quilter amp wouldn’t have to be mic’ed up. And with a small PA speaker I could hook a microphone up to talk if needed? Sounds like I need to do some research on a budget friendly power speaker!
Tom Jordan

Post by Tom Jordan »

For my solo "crafts fair"/ "farmers market" and outside stuff, I use a Roland Street Cube EX. Battery powered, two channel plus an aux input for "tracks", if used. 50 watts

If I'm playing with others, I have a Fender Passport PA (300 watts) and use my deluxe reverb amp.

Works for me!

Tom
ZB Custom SD10, Dekley S10, Nashville Tele w/Parson B Bender, Dobros, Lap Steels
Fender Tube Amps and stuff...
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Lots of combinations will work. My suggestion since you seem to be green at this is go to some venues where a solo act is performing and observe the equipment used. This should give you a picture of common requirements.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Richard mentioned the Bose column powered speaker. I use a Bose L1 system with a companion subwoofer and proprietary Tone Match 4-ch mixer. It is very clean, very portable, with plenty of power and excellent sound dispersion for small clubs and even medium-size outdoor events.

Very easy setup. It can be positioned to act as both main speaker and monitor - you hear exactly what your audience hears - with minimal feedback issues.

You can run your instruments and vocal mic as well as backing track device straight into the mixer. There are EQ and fx presets for different input sources. There is a bit of a learning curve on using the mixer. Worth it, imo.

This system is not cheap if you buy it new, but you can usually find one on Reverb for half that cost. It’s up to you what it’s worth to have a pro sound.