Please Close

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

W. C. Edgar
Location: Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, East Coast Soon!

Please Close

Post by W. C. Edgar »

What would be a good choice for a new narrow mount pickup in the 15-16.5 ohm range?
No one has any Lawrence, 505,605, 610 or E-66
What is this world coming to? LOL
WC
Last edited by W. C. Edgar on 30 Sep 2023 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First owner of Steelseat.com
1980 Sho-Bud Pro II & 1977 Sho-Bud Pro l
Lawrence 610 Pickups
1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson & more
wcedgar.com
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

There's a narrow mount E66 in the for sale section. Is that what you are needing?
W. C. Edgar
Location: Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, East Coast Soon!

Post by W. C. Edgar »

Last resort
First owner of Steelseat.com
1980 Sho-Bud Pro II & 1977 Sho-Bud Pro l
Lawrence 610 Pickups
1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson & more
wcedgar.com
Dave Campbell

Post by Dave Campbell »

have you considered telonics pickups? i've had a few. though expensive i think they sound incredible.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

W.C. see if Becky Lawrence will wind you a new narrow mount 710 wilde pickup>
Contact Info: becky@billlawrence.com and 951-371-1494
https://www.wildepickups.com/products/steel-guitar
That's what I have now in my LDG with coil tap. Regular 18,000 full and 12,000 tap. But she is Bill's widow; and just her and bill's granddaughter Shannon are continuing Bill Lawrence dream, as of course she owns his original winding machine...ah..ha....My LDG blows the doors off any one else's Sho~Bud...except Lloyd's OH WAIT; he has a 710 in his also...yeehaaa. But WC; email her and tell her I was brainstorming she winding you a Narrow Mount 710 at 16,000 ohms(you can coil tap or not; just ask her).
P.S.> DO NOT put any George L pickup in a sho-bud; that just puts a horrible blanket over the top of your sound> WRONG pickup for a Sho-bud.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Check with Fryer pickups.

http://fryerguitarpickups.com/

Nick is making pickups for Sho Buds.
Bob
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Contact Becky Lawrence...710 is the deal...An E66 is too bright for that positioning...
Jim Sliff

Re: Looking for a pickup (not for bedoom players) please

Post by Jim Sliff »

W. C. Edgar wrote:What would be a good choice for a new narrow mount pickup in the 15-16.5 ohm range?
WC
The DC resistance is relatively meaningless. High resistance does not mean high output (the most popular misconception), and has nothing to do with pickup voicing.

Different magnet types (and/or their placement) in pickups with same DC resistance can make a pickup sound about 180 degrees away from what's desired, as can the gage and type of wire used in winding them, the height, width, or the size of the air gap between polepiece(s) and coil wire (all of which have nothing to do with the mounting width), humbucking vs single coil design, type of cover (if any), other subtle design tricks pickup makers use -

Virtually ALL of these are more important than DC resistance.

And what do you mean by "not for bedroom players, please".? In my view it's an incredibly insulting comment that demonstrates a misconception of what SOME bedroom players are skill wise, as far as gear details go and their level of understanding how instrument tone is generated (like understanding what is NOT critical in pickup specifications.)

*I'm* technically a "bedroom player" who had to quit playing 2-4 gigs/week playing pedal steel, 6 string, electric mandolin and lap steel for health reasons totally unrelated to my playing skill.

Also not related to the thousands of dollars of professional gear that is serviced, voiced and professionally set up to my requirements.

I have never claimed to be a "hot" or incredibly technical player - but I was in demand because I understand my gear, play only what is needed to fit a song - and respect everyone..

I know many other so-called "bedroom players" who are former pros - or NEVER were by choice, but use professional level gear, can blow many "pros" off a stage and/or have finely developed touch & tone, and understand HOW their gear actually works.

I do "tone consulting" for players to find gear that's made (or can be modified) to their specific tone requirements, pick attack/control and other minute details.

I've also encountered a few self-appointed "professionals" over the years who had a holier-than-thou attitude. I refused to take their money, and suggested they could return when they developed one critical musician's skill I could not help them with -

"humility"
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
John Hyland

Post by John Hyland »

Jim Sliff wrote:
W. C. Edgar wrote:What would be a good choice for a new narrow mount pickup in the 15-16.5 ohm range?
WC

And what do you mean by "not for bedroom players, please".?
"
I too did wonder about that comment and I thought the same thing. but to be charitable he probably meant (or should have meant) “gigging players please” because the sound you get playing to yourself is not what you get in a live situation with competing tones and room artefacts at volume.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

John Hyland wrote:
Jim Sliff wrote:
WC

And what do you mean by "not for bedroom players, please".?
"
I too did wonder about that comment and I thought the same thing. but to be charitable he probably meant (or should have meant) “gigging players please” because the sound you get playing to yourself is not what you get in a live situation with competing tones and room artefacts at volume.
I disagree. It depends on how your "bedroom" (den, studio...or in my case a 30x15 living room/dining room) and how you adjust your gear. I run my amps at close to the top of their headroom (where most tube amps generally sound best) - exactly what I'd use in a venue - and in smaller places use a smaller amp dialed in to sound the same as a higher powered one in a larger space.

Techs work with players in their shops, making adjustments while the customer is playing - and a tech or experienced/knowledgable player can adjust gear to duplicate "stage tones" (which, by your description would have to be in the same venue with the same players and same number of listeners. It comes down to experience, training, education etc - and a "gigging player" does not, by definition, have "more".

The point is that "bedroom players"(aka "garage band players" when I was starting out) can be every bit...or more...knowledgable that many gigging players when it comes to gear application and tone.

"Bedroom player" is a term with no definition. During the Covid-19 "shutdown" - when the vast majority of formerly-gigging players were turned into bedroom players - were they suddenly unable to duplicate the tones they were getting in specific circumstances a year earlier? And did they suddenly lose all knowledge about pickups (it's possible some did and now ask for advice...) ?
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
John Hyland

Post by John Hyland »

john hyland wrote: And what do you mean by "not for bedroom players, please".?
"
I too did wonder about that comment and I thought the same thing. but to be charitable he probably meant (or should have meant) “gigging players please” because the sound you get playing to yourself is not what you get in a live situation with competing tones and room artefacts at volume.[/quote]
Jim Sliff wrote:
I disagree. It depends on how your "bedroom" (den, studio...or in my case a 30x15 living room/dining room) and how you adjust your gear. I run my amps at close to the top of their headroom (where most tube amps generally sound best) - exactly what I'd use in a venue - and in smaller places use a smaller amp dialed in to sound the same as a higher powered one in a larger space.
?
My comment was to say that live venues do not have the same acoustic characteristics as a bed room, studio or garage. . Some pickups and other electronic are better at cutting through the noise. Of course those who play in isolated environments can also be very experienced live players and as clumsily as is was posted I believe the OPs intent was to quiz live players.
Larry Ball

Post by Larry Ball »

“Great Players” don’t make demeaning comments, they let their fellow “Steel Players” judge their skills.
Mullen SD10, Sho~Bud SD10 LDG, Show-Pro SD10 LDG, Peavey Nashville 112, Telonic's F100 Multi-Taper Super Pro V/P, too many other guitars, amps and effects to mention.
Chris Harwood

Post by Chris Harwood »

A pedal steel player, an accordion player, and a banjo player walked into a bar...

The accordion player needed the drink because someone thru his accordion in the dumpster.

The banjo player needed the drink because he was dehydrated from drooling onstage.

The pedal steel player needed the drink because he was being drowned out by the banjo ...and had to play by himself in his bedroom. :-(