Neural Quad Cortex

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Neural Quad Cortex

Post by Johnny Cox »

I'm starting to mess with amp modeling. There are other post about those but I wanted to share this video on the Quad Cortex. My friend Joe Rogers has given me the bug. This is a very educational video about this unit. It doesn't come with steel amp models but it has many Fender amp models and Joe is modeling steel amps to be available to download. He already has several modeled including my Quilter 202. There are more great steel amps to come. Check this out.
https://youtu.be/LdHrWDL-6ak?si=Pqv8K2WUjS9flKmu
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Justin Shaw

Post by Justin Shaw »

Hey Johnny! I'm a big tube amp guy and Neural DSP was the company that convinced me that modeling was worth considering. I use Neural DSP plugins on my computer for recording quick ideas, the "Archetype" ones, and they sound great. Neural DSP is the same company that makes the Quad Cortex. I have tried a few other companies for modelling and none of them come close to comparing.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I was unimpressed with the QC effects and concerned about the number of people that have excessive hum in some venues due to the power supply issues they have yet to fix. Also waiting for the desktop editor which was promised a year or so ago. Yeah, it's a great modeler but it only models an amp or speaker cab at one setting. You can of course alter the tone of the model using the QC controls but not using the same controls as the amp as because those tone stacks are not modeled.

I'll give the QC another shot after it ahs a major update. Till then I'm pretty happy with my ToneX and Fractal Axe 3 which also accept amp, can and speaker IR's from other sources for steel amps. I am quite aware that most people are elated with the QC as is but I'm gonna wait for round 2!
Sylvan Williams

Post by Sylvan Williams »

Greg Cutshaw wrote:Till then I'm pretty happy with my ToneX and Fractal Axe 3 which also accept amp, can and speaker IR's from other sources for steel amps. I am quite aware that most people are elated with the QC as is but I'm gonna wait for round 2!
Greg, I second satisfaction with the ToneX. I received one last week and put a Nash112 head model + a PF400 IR on it and I'm elated with the tone I'm getting with very little EQ adjustments. Not belittling the QC, but for $400 the ToneX punches WAY up for anyone looking for just amp+cab with optional spring, compression, and noise gate. I have an H9 sitting after the ToneX to make up for the lack of other time-based effects in the ToneX
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

I'm still wanting a one box unit. I don't want to carry a bunch if effects pedals or rack mount effects. The effects I heard from the QC I liked very much. The other thing is I will model my sound not use other folks settings.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.