Speaker placement on gigs

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brian Henry

Speaker placement on gigs

Post by Brian Henry »

When I go on Gigs I play through two 15 “ speaker.Where should I place them in order to hear my playing and for the audience to hear. Behind me beside me and how many feeet. Many thanks dear brothers.
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

I have one close to me and a little behind so I can hear myself, and the other on the other side of the band in the back line for the benefit of everyone else.
I use stereo effects, so this gives a good spread.
Exact distances will depend on the size of the stage.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

For yourself -
As far away from the drums as you can get! About 4’ behind and maybe 2-3’ to the right or left of your seated position, aimed upwards (or on an amp stand) and toward you but slightly lower than your head. You’ll hear your true tone minus the ice pick highs. Be careful with your volume.

For the audience-
Line out from the amp, or mic the speaker to the PA board. If the other speaker is your only option, then either do what Ian suggests or aim it straight out to the audience from the most convenient spot you can find.

One guarantee - what you hear and what your audience hears from you will be two different things.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Depends on the stage layout and the available space. I also use 2 speakers in a stereo rig.

I like to put my speakers as far behind me as possible. 10 ft. or so is not too much. Reason being, almost everybody tells me I don't play loud enough. This way, it takes more volume for me to hear myself and hopefully loud enough in the stage mix.

I spread them out as much as possible and point one sort of to the other side of the stage.

In large events, I usually get one speaker in the FOH, so the rest is out of my hands there as per Fred's comment. I just try to suit myself with the sound. Yes, we all know that the 2 speaker stereo thing is just for us but it's all worth it for me and I hate when I have to use just a single speaker or a combo amp.
Jeremy Reeves

Post by Jeremy Reeves »

leave one at home unless you have a roadie
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:Yes, we all know that the 2 speaker stereo thing is just for us but it's all worth it for me and I hate when I have to use just a single speaker or a combo amp.
My feeling exactly, Jerry - I'm going to enjoy myself even if no-one else cares! :)
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Chris Harwood

Post by Chris Harwood »

Ian Rae wrote:
Jerry Overstreet wrote:Yes, we all know that the 2 speaker stereo thing is just for us but it's all worth it for me and I hate when I have to use just a single speaker or a combo amp.
My feeling exactly, Jerry - I'm going to enjoy myself even if no-one else cares! :)
THIS^^^^ in spades....if it makes you play better...