Johnny Cox with the Billy Mata band

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Pete Finney

Johnny Cox with the Billy Mata band

Post by Pete Finney »

I had the great pleasure of listening to and hanging out with Johnny last week when he played the Broken Spoke in Austin with Billy Mata (a perfect place to see them).

It just doesn't get any better; a great 7-piece band, western-swing with some shuffles and waltzes mixed in. Johnny was absolutely killing it on his D-13th tuning, playing amazing 6th-style stuff and incredible "E-9th" stuff too, all as good as anyone out there.

Johnny and I first met in the mid-70s; he humbled me then and he still does; he's playing maybe better than ever. I really miss the days of the original Timejumpers with Johnny and Hoot Hester, which at the time was a pretty low-key Monday hang at the Station Inn, with mostly musicians in the audience.

Johnny looked great and it was really good to see him again and spend a little time catching up. Don't miss this band if you ever get a chance to see them!
Last edited by Pete Finney on 23 Sep 2023 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Pete:

I was lucky enough to see the Time Jumpers back when Johnny had the steel chair. As it happens, he was playing that triple-neck Zum, but I knew I was hearing one of the very best.

When I asked, he took time to explain the three tunings to me (I absorbed about a third of it!); now, he's knocking out of the park with the distillation of that guitar's potential - 12-string D13th.

Me too! I'm only two weeks into the journey (after fifty years on a D10) and it's already clear to me that JC has come up with an amazing tuning!

(Edited to say: That was a magic time for that band. This is not to disparage the various line-ups over the years, but they were almost an unknown 'secret' back then.)
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Re: Johnny Cox with the Billy Mata band

Post by Johnny Cox »

Pete Finney wrote:I had the great pleasure of listening to and hanging out with Johnny last week when he played the Broken Spoke in Austin with Billy Mata (a perfect place to see them).

It just doesn't get any better; a great 7-piece band, western-swing with some shuffles and waltzes mixed in. Johnny was absolutely killing it on his D-13th tuning, playing amazing 6th-style stuff and incredible "E-9th" stuff too, all as good as anyone out there.

Johnny and I first met in the mid-70s; he humbled me then and he still does; he's playing maybe better than ever. I really miss the days of the original Timejumpers with Johnny and Hoot Hester, which at the time was a pretty low-key Monday hang at the Station Inn, with mostly musicians in the audience.

Johnny looked great and it was really good to see him again and spend a little time catching up. Don't miss this band if you ever get a chance to see them!
Pete, it was great to see you my friend. I hope to get up to Nashville soon. We will have to hang out again.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

Roger Rettig wrote:Pete:

I was lucky enough to see the Time Jumpers back when Johnny had the steel chair. As it happens, he was playing that triple-neck Zum, but I knew I was hearing one of the very best.

When I asked, he took time to explain the three tunings to me (I absorbed about a third of it!); now, he's knocking out of the park with the distillation of that guitar's potential - 12-string D13th.

Me too! I'm only two weeks into the journey (after fifty years on a D10) and it's already clear to me that JC has come up with an amazing tuning!

(Edited to say: That was a magic time for that band. This is not to disparage the various line-ups over the years, but they were almost an unknown 'secret' back then.)
Thank you Roger. I hope you are enjoying the tuning.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

I'd like to see that show. Bill Mata is a true pro. I like how they dress the part. Johnny Cox always brings good tasteful playing to a band.

I took remember those older Time Jumper days.

RC