Starting Over

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jeffrey Campbell

Starting Over

Post by Jeffrey Campbell »

Looking for advice,
Awhile back I had a cheap Morrell that I got frustrated with. I gave it away to a friend who leads a Hawaiian band.
I’ve got the itch to play lap steel again. Is it possible to purchase a functional instrument in the $300 to $500 range?
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

how many strings you want?
Jeffrey Campbell

Six
David Knutson

Post by David Knutson »

You may want to check out Melbert steel guitars. Great reputation and well priced.
David K
Jeffrey Campbell

Thanks David!
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Sent you an email.
Mike Auman

Post by Mike Auman »

+1 on Melbert, and they sometimes have used or discounted models, call and ask about that. If not, the basic 6-string model is under $500.
Long-time guitar player now working on lap steel.
Chris Harwood

Post by Chris Harwood »

Unless you don't mind an import..some older Valco..(Supro, National etc) easily fall in that price range.

Otherwise the SX, and Gretsch seem to find beginner/intermediate buyers ...among others.
Jeffrey Campbell

Bill Hatcher wrote:Sent you an email.
Thanks!
John Clay

Post by John Clay »

I was pleasantly surprised with how well it turned out when I bought a Georgeboards conversion kit for a cheapo Rogue. I am not really handy with tools, but I was able to do the entire conversion - adding the bridges, nut and a fretboard scaled to a 22.5 inch scale. After that, I raised the pickup to the correct height for each string, and added lubricant to the tuners. I also added a proper set of strings for the C6 tuning. The end result – at least to me-is an entirely acceptable beginner’s instrument. No buzz, better volume, good intonation all the way up the fretboard. The signal from the pickup at the proper height is adequate although, of course, I would get richer tone with a better pick up.

This turned out so well that I bought another rogue for $70 that I am going to upgrade with another kit.

If I stay with the lap steel guitar, I will probably eventually hunt for a well-priced older lap steel with a good pick up. But if you already have a cheapo import lap steel and an afternoon of free time to put into upgrading it, I think this is a good option for a beginning player.
Nic Neufeld

Post by Nic Neufeld »

You mention getting frustrated with the Morrell...anything in particular frustrate you with the instrument or was it just getting frustrated learning it? You've got a pretty broad range available with 6 strings (lots of new and vintage offerings for not too much money). The only thing that I'd personally avoid is what I had with my first instrument, also a Morrell. I think it had a scale of 20"...which was so short that it sounded a bit too plinky for me...I'd prefer something in 22"-25" scale. But that's personal preference.
Waikīkī, at night when the shadows are falling
I hear the rolling surf calling
Calling and calling to me
Brad Richard

Post by Brad Richard »

I've got a Recording King RG-32 which I like alot. I did change out the pickup. I think it plays and sounds great.
Jeffrey Campbell

John Clay wrote:I was pleasantly surprised with how well it turned out when I bought a Georgeboards conversion kit for a cheapo Rogue. I am not really handy with tools, but I was able to do the entire conversion - adding the bridges, nut and a fretboard scaled to a 22.5 inch scale. After that, I raised the pickup to the correct height for each string, and added lubricant to the tuners. I also added a proper set of strings for the C6 tuning. The end result – at least to me-is an entirely acceptable beginner’s instrument. No buzz, better volume, good intonation all the way up the fretboard. The signal from the pickup at the proper height is adequate although, of course, I would get richer tone with a better pick up.

This turned out so well that I bought another rogue for $70 that I am going to upgrade with another kit.

If I stay with the lap steel guitar, I will probably eventually hunt for a well-priced older lap steel with a good pick up. But if you already have a cheapo import lap steel and an afternoon of free time to put into upgrading it, I think this is a good option for a beginning player.
I like the idea!
Jeffrey Campbell

Nic Neufeld wrote:You mention getting frustrated with the Morrell...anything in particular frustrate you with the instrument or was it just getting frustrated learning it? You've got a pretty broad range available with 6 strings (lots of new and vintage offerings for not too much money). The only thing that I'd personally avoid is what I had with my first instrument, also a Morrell. I think it had a scale of 20"...which was so short that it sounded a bit too plinky for me...I'd prefer something in 22"-25" scale. But that's personal preference.
I think it was the short scale, it felt cramped.
George Piburn

Need a great low cost lap steel ?

Post by George Piburn »

Since a GeorgeBoards™ RetroFit Kit was recommended,

I thought I would let folks know I've got a few of what i am calling "Americanized Import" for sale. This is not some big advertisement, I'm just selling off an idea at a loss to get some coins back for other new projects.

As John Clay said a better pickup and correct strings is a must do for a best result.

This is what I've already done for you, I purchased a 1/2 dozen of these little imports.

1st , our planks are real Poplar wood, Super good sunburst finish, cooler looking than typically solid Rogue colors.

I worked with Forum Member Rob of Cavalier Pickups to make a "StringMaster 6"
he is an expert on vintage Fender pickups, and created a drop in replacement PuP that is way more powerful - clean - desirable sonic part.

I installed the RetroFit™ Kit with my professional Fixture jig so the intonation is to my standards.

I upgraded the tuners to closed back heavy duty - basically non branded Grovers.

We are D'Addarrio string OEM dealers and installed New Correct Strings too.

Also we installed new WD full sized Pots and a 5% Drop Cap and added TeleStyle Knobs.

These instruments are no longer a little cheepo, it is a full blown playable instrument that tunes out nicely.

I would stand these up against any of the off the shelf imports as an entry level lap steel.

$299.99 + 25 shipping USA (Below my cost to make)
22.5 scale correct string spacings and V depths
includes a GeorgeBoards Branded Gig Bag and slider bar too - Both C6 and Open E-D-G versions.

Greg Forsyth

Post by Greg Forsyth »

Beautifully done George, and at an excellent price. It looks like you've improved the nut and bridge also.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

You can get an incredible 1940's/50's Epiphone Electro in that price range - an excellent guitar that will increase in value!
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional