Need Purchasing Help on Sho-Bud LDG

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brendan Mullins

Need Purchasing Help on Sho-Bud LDG

Post by Brendan Mullins »

Hello, I am new and thanks for having me. Need some help on my first pedal steel.

There are two Sho-Bud LDG's I am looking at, one is from 1974 and one is from 1982. Both are in great shape. The 1974 has 4 foot pedals and the '82 has 3. The '74 appears to have some sort of toggle on the right side of it. The tuner head assemblies look different. The '74's finish faded from green to yellow on one end but seems cosmetic.

A few questions:
-Are there quality differences between these years?
-Should I be overly concerned about a 4x4 vs 4x3?
-What should I be looking for and/or asking about before I buy a pedal steel?
-Is there anything I should know about setting a guitar like this up and if it is frequently needed? Being on the West Coast I assume I will have to do things like that myself.
-Any opinions on LDG's in general? Seems like a life-long instrument I can grow into until my dying days. I buy gear sparingly and when I do I usually go for buying quality.
-What should I be willing to pay for a LDG? Prices vary a bit wildly depending on state of the instrument, from $1200-$5000.

Some background on me: I have played acoustic and electric guitar for 20 years. Spent the last half of it doing a lot of slide and open tunings. 2 years ago I bought a 1949 Gibson Console Grande and have been having a lot of fun doing C6 lapsteel stuff. I want to move on to E9 pedal steel now. I love Lloyd Green and the look of LDG's so currently that is what I am pursuing buying as my first pedal steel.

Thank you for your time. Really excited about this.

-Brendan
Last edited by Brendan Mullins on 15 Sep 2023 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Brendan pictures would be great. The 72 if I remember has a round front and was the first year they were made. Ricky Davis could confirm this. But I've never heard of an original LDG with four on the floor. The toggle is most likely to split the pick-up. The 82 most likely has the Super Pro under carriage which means some pot metal. I would go with the 72 but I would find out if A. the guitar was converted from a D-10 to an SD-10, or B. a pedal was added.
There are people some of which are on here that delight in turning D-10's into SD-10s, then taking leftover parts and creating their own fakey brand of Sho-Bud.
2013 Williams D-10, 2019 Williams D-10, 1970 Fender Twin, Evans SE200, Fender Tonemaster Twin, Hilton pedal, Jagwire Strings.
Brendan Mullins

Craig, thanks for your response. Here are photos.

Jason Putnam

Post by Jason Putnam »

In my option the 74 is the better built machine. I have a 74 Pro I that has the same barrel and 2 hole pull mechanics as the LDG you are looking at. They are a little temperamental with tuning as they are an older mechanism than the newer nylon system. But the 80’s Sho-Buds had pot metal parts which were prone to breakage. As for the toggle switch, if it is still functional, it is a split coil switch. It cuts part of the pickup coil which lowers the ohms and changes the sound of the pickup. Mine was not functional when I bought it so I purchased a split coil pickup and required the switch to make it functional again. If that one hasn’t been messed with it should still work.
1967 Emmons Bolt On, 1974 ShoBud Pro 1 3x5,Nashville 112, Quilter TT-12, JOYO Digital Delay, Goodrich Volume Pedal, Livesteel Strings
Jason Putnam

Post by Jason Putnam »

Also it is not a conversion. There was never a d 10 ldg.
1967 Emmons Bolt On, 1974 ShoBud Pro 1 3x5,Nashville 112, Quilter TT-12, JOYO Digital Delay, Goodrich Volume Pedal, Livesteel Strings
Dave Campbell

Post by Dave Campbell »

the 1974 version, hands down. pictures of the underside would help us know if anything is out of place, but for me there is no comparison…1974.
Dave Campbell

Post by Dave Campbell »

after looking at the 1974 pictures, i think you should run and buy it. go! you will probably never find a better sounding machine.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

I am aware there weren’t D-10 LDG’s but there are some people bastardizing D-10s into SD-10s.
2013 Williams D-10, 2019 Williams D-10, 1970 Fender Twin, Evans SE200, Fender Tonemaster Twin, Hilton pedal, Jagwire Strings.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

A few questions:
-Are there quality differences between these years?
-Should I be overly concerned about a 4x4 vs 4x3?
-What should I be looking for and/or asking about before I buy a pedal steel?
-Is there anything I should know about setting a guitar like this up and if it is frequently needed? Being on the West Coast I assume I will have to do things like that myself.
-Any opinions on LDG's in general? Seems like a life-long instrument I can grow into until my dying days. I buy gear sparingly and when I do I usually go for buying quality.
-What should I be willing to pay for a LDG? Prices vary a bit wildly depending on state of the instrument, from $1200-$5000.
Ok; the LDG first year was May 1973 to May 1974 and they were "round front" like the one you have. They were all Barrel tuning behind two-hole pullers 3ped; 4 knee standard. Then late '74 they changed to nylon tuning and there were so many small changes every year from '74 to '82....I don't feel like listing everything; it would blow too many minds. But completely EVERY part and wood and body design and mechanical and pickup set up are different between the two you posted about. Lloyd Green has the first LDG of course and I have the second. You can youtube many Lloyd Green vids and Ricky Davis vids and you will hear the first year LDG blows away any other year sho-bud and steel you can hear;;So there's my answer on which one to buy. But yes; the first year will cost much more; yes there can be fading because Nitro lacquer was used over Emerald Green food coloring; so it doesn't like outside light...aha..ha...and you have to learn how to set up and tune barrels; by engaging the pedal or knee...before EVER turning rod at endplate....but it is the smoothest playing and best sound. The switch on early Sho-bud's are a Coil Tap. it will cut the ohms in half and give you even a older lap steel sound. The parts underneath will NEVER break; like the later models when EVERYTHING breaks.
What is the serial number of that first year LDG and I can tell you month and year. If someone told you 1974; then; yes still first year; but green tint was only added to white texture for all sho-buds built between May'74 to May'75; except the very first ones built then the idea came...ha..
Price?? To me; > First year LDG; is PRICELESS on sound and the later model; is just regular pedal steel prices going around these days (Non idiot inflation price..> 2000.00 to 2500.00)
first year LDG....over 3000.00; and I would like to see the underneath and how/what they used to add that 4th pedal...I can tell you if original parts were used or not..and that will make a HUGE diff...to me on assessment.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Gotta chime in here to say how much I enjoy Ricky's exposition on Sho-Buds, and other commenters' observations.

I play a completely different kind of guitar (Carter SD 12) but love reading what you guys have dug up about Sho Bud history. Thanks!
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Definitely the older one. I hade a Super-Pro with the pot metal parts. Worst guitar I ever owned or played.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Brendan Mullins

Thanks everybody for the detailed and thoughtful replies. I asked for a photo of the underside early yesterday and am waiting to get it back. The ‘82 sold so that is out but sounds like I would have gone with the ‘74 anyways. Will post photo of underside today I hope.

Also, description of the pedals for reference.

Thanks.
-Brendan
David Farrell

Post by David Farrell »

A 74 LDG is a holy grail guitar. If you buy it, you won't be sorry. I have a 76 LDG & it's great, although I am having trouble keeping the changes tuned correctly. It's probably operator error.
Dave

Fender pedal steels, amps & guitars. '73 Sho~Bud PRO 1 CUSTOM. Emmons ReSound'65 S-10 4x5.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Brendan. Run ! They are great. For setup, drive it to Oceanside California and have Jim Palenscar set it up for you. Or ship it to Ricky.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Dana Blodgett

Post by Dana Blodgett »

In my opinion I’d be after the ‘74 LDG, although pricey, it would be my first choice other than a ‘73. I agree with Rickey Davis on the Sho~Bud systems.
I think the ‘73 & ‘74 would be the most valuable if you were to ever re sell the guitar.
Jim at Steel Guitars of the North county will set it up right and answer any questions you might have.
Dana Blodgett
From Los Osos,Ca.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Brendan Mullins

Thanks again, everyone. The seller stopped responding a few days ago then took the listing down. Maybe he found a buyer...unsure. Asking price was $4500 which was more than I was willing to pay. Sadly, I will never know the sale price!

I learned a lot from this. I will probably post another topic about recommendations on a good steel to start with. Thanks.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Sorry you missed out Brendan and yes we don't get to know how much he actually sold it for; only what he was asking and again; this was being sold by someone that knew NOTHING about it...as you emailed me pics underneath(thank you) and although all original parts; but everything needed to be taken out and cleaned and lubed; especially the changer as it was gungy...and reset up..and that is at least 500.00 to do that by someone that knows; which there is only a few of us still alive..ah..ha....So NOT dealing with this person; I believe; was a good thing.
You and anyone can ALWAYS ask me about any Sho~bud you are looking at and I will always give my honest(30 years of experience of every part of ever model shobud)opinion; as I'm not trying to buy or sell anything; I only work on them to make something dead; ALIVE again.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Nickolas Schweitzer

Post by Nickolas Schweitzer »

I found his craigslist ad an hour or two after he posted it and emailed him, he never responded, then I did some digging and found the reverb ad and messaged him through that. Then I saw this thread and felt guilty. It was a cool guitar, seemed a little pricy, and I have way too many guitars. But he must have had a change of heart or someone found it on craigslist.
on a separate note, Jim in oceanside is worth the trip and does amazing work, every guitar I have he has worked on and they all play great. Even when you do get a guitar it would probably be worth it to have him set it up for you.
Brendan Mullins

Thanks all for the replies. Nicholas, no need to feel guilty. First one to put the cash on the table is the first one to have a right to it. I knew I ran the risk of losing it by delaying an offer for so long.

Hopefully it lands in a happy home. Cheers.