reverse rake (typically "C6th")

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

J D Sauser

reverse rake (typically "C6th")

Post by J D Sauser »

One piece of technique I have let be for "later" for way to long now, is the infamous reverse pick rake. Speedy West did it with the thumb pick, but I hate to se it flying out of the window, BE did it quite often, and Paul Franklin discusses it using either his middle or index on his E9th online course but with little methodology on how to practice it.

I am feeling like all I am doing is no the right way and that I might be practicing bad habits.

Anyone care to post some videos on the "Technique"?
Or else someone feel real didactic about it, I'll gladly PayPAL up for a Zoom session too.

Thanks!... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Andrew Goulet

Post by Andrew Goulet »

Watching this topic! I think I usually use my middle fingerpick to reverse rake. I found this old, short thread: https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/011956.html. Not too much info but some people say they use a thumb. Using the backside of a thumb pick feels very weird to me.
Marlen S12 and a ZT Club
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

First finger for me, occasionally the second. Thumb-raking moves my pick, almost to the point of losing it!

Pick-blocking it at sufficient speed to mimic that sound is the 'boutique' method but I don't see that in my future.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Bobby Hearn

Post by Bobby Hearn »

Ask Tommy White how he does it, he’s a master at it. I typically use my index because it feels easier plus my middle is usually busier.
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

Thanks.
A fellow Forumite from Nashville was so nice to give me a Zoom-class on how he approaches it.

Do you guys rest your thumb against the last string SEEMING to be part of the rake when you rake towards it with the finger?

- rake
- rake
- Thumb

I don't know Tommy White besides knowing who he is what he is known for. I don't feel that it would be polite to just "call" (I wouldn't have his number either) "hey man, can you just quickly show me...?" :D

Thanks!... J-D

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.