Shubb Hardwood and Stainless Bar

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Tom Jordan

Shubb Hardwood and Stainless Bar

Post by Tom Jordan »

I've been a steel player since 1984 (pedal mostly) but in the last year, I've been playing/gigging lots of lapsteel and resonator guitar.

My bar of choice these days is the round nose Shubb SP2 but for my reso, I'm really considering a lighter, straight steel (not a rounded nose). I know, lots of muscle memory to turn around (digging the nose of the bar in for licks on PSG), but I've been working around that by using the straight end of the SP2 and practicing.

Has anyone used or using the Schubb Hardwood/stainless bar and how do you like it? Is it still heavy enough for decent tone?

Thanks!

Tom
Last edited by Tom Jordan on 19 Sep 2023 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZB Custom SD10, Dekley S10, Nashville Tele w/Parson B Bender, Dobros, Lap Steels
Fender Tube Amps and stuff...
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

I like the grip for playing while standing up. The tone is a hair less strident than the SP-2 I otherwise use, but it sounds closer to an all-metal bar than bakelite or ceramic. I find it sounds best on acoustics, but it's not bad on electrics either.
Tom Jordan

Post by Tom Jordan »

Noah,

Thank you for your input, it's helpful.

Tom
ZB Custom SD10, Dekley S10, Nashville Tele w/Parson B Bender, Dobros, Lap Steels
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

I have a Shubb GS (Gary Swallow) tone bar. Nice grip, good tone.

I also have an EG Smith bar… super pointy like the GS, with a radical rounded saw tooth on the grip edge.

Also have a Beard or something with different angles on each end.

I Have a bunch of sharp edge bars that I’ve acquired over time… but I’ve been converted to Rocky Mountain stone bullet slides. Hallelujah!

PM me and I’ll do a deal

Larry Pogreba Baritone 'Weissenheimer
Lazy River mahogany standard Weiss
Lazy River ‘Tear Drop” weissenborn
Larrivee OM5
Tom Jordan

Post by Tom Jordan »

Thanks, Mark. I just looked up the Rocky Mountain slides and they look/sound pretty good!

That slide of yours with the "sawtooth" grip is pretty cool!

Bet it's handy, drunk in the snow, crawling home! 8)

Tom