Changing out Sho Bud pedals

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Travis Bubenik

Changing out Sho Bud pedals

Post by Travis Bubenik »

Just received some wide pedals to try out in place of the narrow pedals on my Sho Bud Professional (thanks Johnnie King!!) - wondering if anyone knows of a guide to swapping pedals anywhere here on the forum? I've searched but haven't found anything.

Maybe it's simple, will admit I haven't even looked yet. Just hoping to see any resources but I start fiddling with things and realized I missed something/screwed something up.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Well did he send you 8 narrow pedals to swap out? or just the first 3?? the first 3 are 2 3/4" each on the axle and that's easy swap cuz narrows are the same. If you are swapping all 8; I believe the 4th and 5th pedal tube lengths are shorter to adjust for the Bracket on the pedal bar....so make sure you adjust for that with the shorter pedals tube lengths on the narrow ones and you should be good.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Travis Bubenik

Post by Travis Bubenik »

Just the first 3 - mine’s a D10 converted to SD10 so 3’s all I got on there currently. Thanks as always!
Travis Bubenik

Post by Travis Bubenik »

Wellll okay way easier than I thought haha - but I’ll leave this here for anyone else who searches for it in the future. Slide old ones off - slide new ones one - voila!

Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Awesome. Well from that pic; it looks like those narrow pedals were original wide pedals cut down on the sides..ah...ha.....LOL.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Is the right end pedal rod support not in its proper position?
The pedals should be free on the shaft, With just enough space for free movement of each pedal.
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

You're right Ricky. I was reading this wondering why a professional would have had narrow pedals. Based on the picture, it does look like they were the wide pedals trimmed because the narrow pedal barrels (tubes) are different.
Best lyric in a country song: "...One more, Moon..."
Travis Bubenik

Post by Travis Bubenik »

Ricky you might be right - never noticed that. Don’t know much about this guitar’s history.

And yes pic was before they were fully reattached.

MAN I’m loving these wide pedals - so much better!
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

Travis Bubenik wrote:...I’ll leave this here for anyone else who searches for it in the future. Slide old ones off - slide new ones one - voila!
Just for posterity, yes, Ricky is definitely right, your "narrow" pedals are just wide pedals that have been cut down. The newer style narrow pedals that Sho-Bud started using around '75-'76 are quite different, and the pedal-to-pedal spacing on the axle is narrower also, 2-1/2" vs ~2-3/4", so swapping them out is not quite as plug & play as it was for you here. In general, switching from the later '70s narrow pedals to the older wide style requires cutting the axle tubes down so that their spacing remains consistent with the cross shaft spacing in the guitar. Going the other way, from wide to narrow, typically requires the addition of some spacers on the axle for the same reason
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Ian; I guess I never measured the length of the Sho-bud "narrow tread" pedals; they do look like the tube is less than 2 3/4"...but the "narrow slick" pedals they made right after the wide waffle; are indeed 2 3/4".
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

That makes sense Ricky, the earlier guitars with the smooth narrow pedals still had the older style undercarriage with round cross shafts and two hole pullers. The change to 2-1/2" cross shaft and pedal spacing seems to coincide more with the change to the Super Pro style undercarriage. So typical Sho-Bud I guess :wink:

All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Yeah Ian; when all changed in 1978 to Superpro mechanics...I pretty much said "Goodbye Sho~bud" and so did Paul Franklin Sr....he went to build his own Pedal Steel at that point......yeeeeehaaaa.
Ricky
Ricky Davis