Bronson Melody King Differences

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Gerry Cockrell

Bronson Melody King Differences

Post by Gerry Cockrell »

I recently acquired two (Rickenbacher) Bronson Melody King lap steel guitars. The first one I bought from a fellow forumite, and the second I bought off of eBay. Imagine my surprise when I received the second Melody King and found that it was quite a bit different than the first one. Photos on ebay did not really show that. The color of the body and neck are not the same; the plate surrounding the tuner and the tailpiece are not the same color even though both tailpieces have the same patent number on them; the two bridges are not exactly the same in that the first one is notched for 6 strings and the second one has several extra string notches cut; and the tuners are not the same color even though they look identical in type. Through my extensive internet research the past few days, it appears that Rickenbacher changed a few things on these guitars between some model years. Other than that assumption, I have no clue. Any constructive comments are welcome. I am posting three photos comparing the two guitars.
Ryan Lunenfeld

Post by Ryan Lunenfeld »

Resurrecting an old topic. Any input?
-Gibson EH185-Rickenbacker Silver Hawaiian-Melobar Powerslide 88-Fender deluxe 6 - Bronson Melody King -Fouke Industrial Purple Menace-Hudson Resonator lap thing-Vega something or other-
Andy Alford

Post by Andy Alford »

Thanks for your information.
Levi Gemmell

Post by Levi Gemmell »

Two brunette bakelite beauties! I'll take one or both - we don't discriminate around here...
Commodore S-8
John Allison S-8
JB Frypan S-8
Sho~Bud LDG SD-10
1966 Fender Super Reverb
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Is there a significant difference in tone between the two guitars?
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars