Elbows and bar grips on a slant?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Alan Struthers

Elbows and bar grips on a slant?

Post by Alan Struthers »

I'm a 4-year player working on some PSG slants. When you slant forward (low strings at a higher fret than high strings), do you place your left elbow way out to the left? And do you change how you hold the bar or keep it the same?

I haven't tried slanting the other way, but I have similar questions (except that the left elbow would be in toward your body).

Are there any YouTube or other videos that show the proper or at least a serviceable technique?

This forum has been terrific for helping me progress and I look forward to seeing your answers. Thanks!

Alan
Gettin' better . . .
Excel ExSTAR U12, Mullen Royal Precision D-10, Sho-Bud Pro II Custom D10, GFI Student Model, Peavy Nashville 112, Fender Princeton, Gibson RB-3, Gold Tone dobro, Martin D-28, and other stuff
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Slants are all done with the fingers.
Pull up a Jerry Byrd video and observe how he does it, he's the master of slants. :D
Erv
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

low strings at a higher fret than high strings
Alan; that is actually a "reverse slant".
A forward slant is where the higher strings are higher fret then low strings).
Like Erv said; proper slants are done with fingers and thumb. Do a search up there on the top right; and search for "Videos on how to forward and reverse slant".
Here's one I found for you and it IS PROPER SLANTING>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYL9rDywJiw
Ricky
Last edited by Ricky Davis on 8 Sep 2023 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

As others have said, use your fingers and thumb. Do not twist your wrist. Swivel the bar within your hand.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Why are you doing slants on a pedal guitar?
Just curious. I use the pedals and levers for everything.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Jim Kennedy

Post by Jim Kennedy »

The gentleman that started me out on pedal steel, Chuck Manchester, was a slant master. He started out as a kid with the door to door lap steel programs that were popular in the fifties. He did not start on pedal steel until the early 70's, after a stint in the Army. When I met him, about 20 years ago, he played a Dekley double 12, 8 pedals and 6 knee set up. He told me he only ever used 4 pedals, and 4 knees, and used slants all the time. IMHO he was a fantastic player. If you watch Paul Franklin, he uses slants as well. Another technique that has its place if we are willing to learn.
ShoBud Pro 1, 75 Tele, 85 Yamaha SA 2000, Fender Cybertwin,
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

The reason a lot of bars have a recession on the butt end is so you can put your thumb in there when making slants, especially reverse slants. :D
Erv
Alan Struthers

Why I want to learn slants

Post by Alan Struthers »

This is a reply to Ian:
I want to use slants, first, because I have a tab book from Jim Loesberg that shows one example and for which I saw no clear substitution, and second, because I thought slants might be useful in other contexts. Maybe they won't be as useful as I hope, but I'd like to find out.
Alan
Gettin' better . . .
Excel ExSTAR U12, Mullen Royal Precision D-10, Sho-Bud Pro II Custom D10, GFI Student Model, Peavy Nashville 112, Fender Princeton, Gibson RB-3, Gold Tone dobro, Martin D-28, and other stuff
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

When it comes to modern steelers and slants. Watch some of Lloyd Green's U tube videos, He is the king of slants on a pedal steel.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

I use forward slants once in awhile, but after watching the vid Ricky posted maybe I can get some reverse slants going.Slants are subtly different from stepping on a pedal, and cool in their own way. Thanks, Ricky! ;-)
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

If player starts out on a lap steel, Then to just 2 or 3 pedals. Forward and Reverse slants was a way to move notes before pedals or knee levers were added for certain notes. Players got the moves set in neuro memory and still do it, Have smoother control of the move, Takes less effort and lighter guitar.