Moving From The 4 Chord To The 5 Chord

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lee Baucum

Moving From The 4 Chord To The 5 Chord

Post by Lee Baucum »

E9 Tuning.

Key of D. I'm on the 4 chord...G. Third fret, no pedals. Time to move to the 5 chord...A.

More often than not, I slide up to the 5th fret, pressing the B & C pedals and then releasing them.
This moves from G, to Bm, to A and sounds nice. Strings 3, 4, & 5 or Strings 4, 5, & 6

Other times (don't know why!) I'll slide from the 3rd fret, no pedals, up to the 6th fret, A pedal & F lever.
Then back to the 5th fret, no pedals.
This moves from G, up to another inversion of G, and then to A.

I think the first way is more musical. If the bass player is playing a walking 1 3 5 3 pattern on the G chord, he will be hitting the B note on the way down to the A on the 5 chord. One bass player I have played with will often go to that 3 note (B) on a slow song, prior to hitting the A note. One possible pitfall of the BC pedal combination is, if you have moved up the two frets, pressed the BC pedals and the bass player stays on the G note, the result is a GMaj7. This may not be the best chord for that spot in the song!
Lee, from South Texas - Down On The Rio Grande

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Samuel Phillippe

Post by Samuel Phillippe »

Thanks for the lesson Lee, sounds good to me. Still learning and these are the type tips I need and keep looking for.

Thanks again
Sam
Michael Sawyer

Post by Michael Sawyer »

I use the A pedal- F lever as you mentioned alot in that situation.
Definetly gonna try the B/C thing this evening,as i am finally making my self use that C pedal.
Thanks