Dave Hole - Unusual Approach To Slide Guitar

Bottleneck slide guitars, B-benders, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Douglas Schuch

Dave Hole - Unusual Approach To Slide Guitar

Post by Douglas Schuch »

I just ran across this guy tonight. I don't play and found his approach interesting, and lots of great playing! I don't play slide "almost a steel" - just dobro, pedal steel and lap steel. But I look for inspiration wherever I find it.

https://youtu.be/SThSL3OJ1Eo

https://youtu.be/FWQR9umRWZs
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
Bryce Van Parys

Post by Bryce Van Parys »

Interesting technique. Works for him. I think he listened to Elmore James once (or twice) :lol:
Bryce
Mullen Royal Precision SD10, Fender Deluxe 8 string

Double bass, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

I have a cassette (what’s that?) of Dave Hole around here somewhere. He’s an intense performer and slide guitar virtuoso for sure.

I saw Jorma Kaukonen play that same slide-over/standard-under style one time in about 1980. Of course I had to try it the next day, and played just long enough to know it wasn’t for me 🥴 I think Jorma was just having fun with it, whereas Dave takes it to the limit.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I remember reading about Dave Hole in Guitar Player magazine in the 90s. Of course, I went out and bought his CD. Was not really my cup of tea but he’s pretty great at what he does. I enjoyed listening to the above clips.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Wow, he's good at what he does. His intonation on the upper frets is excellent. I wonder if he plays lap steel as well?
David Rattray

slidin

Post by David Rattray »

I loved it...
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I have a CD of his from years ago. Pretty intense but great playing.