Another strange bird spotted in antique store

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Tony Palmer

Another strange bird spotted in antique store

Post by Tony Palmer »

So this seems slightly above the quirky novelty type guitar aberrations from long ago but not enough quality that I could bring myself to buy it.
100% for cool looks though….

Sierra S10 (three!), Peavey 112 and 115, Benoit dobro, Beard Model E dobro, Beard Roadophonic, MSA Superslide, Dean Nickless custom dobro
Mike Harris

another strange bird

Post by Mike Harris »

Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

My wife and I used to frequent antique shops quite a bit...for many years. I ran across so many strange instruments similar to that one. Most were way over-priced for what they were.

They all smell the same!

I often thought that a collection of them hanging on a wall in a bar or restaurant would be interesting.

~Lee
Paul Seager

Post by Paul Seager »

Its Bavarian Zither. Probably has other names but it often shows up on Bavarian folk music TV shows.Quite regularly found in German antique shops. Personally I find a clumsy looking instrument to play and not pleasant to listen to!

Worse though, is how often I am approached at gigs here in Bavaria and asked, " is that a Zither?"
I'm considering having some t-shirts printed with the message "It's not a [expletive] Zither" :D
Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

Thanks for the info guys. At first I thought the six strings were meant to be played with a bar and picks like a lapsteel. Now I see that it is played by fretting while holding it horizontal I guess, so yes, must be clumsy to play
Sierra S10 (three!), Peavey 112 and 115, Benoit dobro, Beard Model E dobro, Beard Roadophonic, MSA Superslide, Dean Nickless custom dobro
David M Brown

Post by David M Brown »

Paul Seager wrote:Its Bavarian Zither.
Yup. Think "Third Man Theme".

You pluck the melody on the fretted neck using a thumbpick while the other right hand fingers hit the bass and chord strings.
Nathan Laudenbach

Post by Nathan Laudenbach »

I think that would be referred to as a Concert Zither. Very cool instrument indeed. Watching someone play this properly is really inspiring. Especially if you are of Bavarian descent.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xoJK2rZRozg ... 0MKIqOXU_f

Zither. Beautiful instrument, watch this.