PSG players using a flat pick?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chris Harwood

PSG players using a flat pick?

Post by Chris Harwood »

Anyone stand out? Youtubes? ... or sans picks?

I think I know the answer...but I'm a lifer non pedal guy, faking it with my guitar chops.

I have a pile of picks...even the $30 Sammy Shelor...but those were used back in my banjo days 20 years ago when I could bend over and lift it out of the case.

I'm enjoying sit down console steel...but I go back to beginner level using the finger picks as it seems totally alien to banjo picking.
Andy Vance

Post by Andy Vance »

Mike Bourque is probably one of the best examples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL3NUSmcWQ0

You can find lots of him playing on AJ's Goodtime Bar YouTube channel.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Boogie Sherrard was a flatpick user and also a great guitar player. There was several YouTube videos with him playing steel. I seen him in St Louis ISGC and Knoxville Tennessee. Seriously great musician.
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

Jerry Guy used a flat pick. He also played a Tele. I haven't seen or heard anything of him in over 40 years. Don't know if he's playing somewhere or passed away?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

See if you can find a video of the late Sid Hudson, He was one of the best if not the best.

When I was a kid there was a guy on one of the syndicated 30 minute country shows. They always showed close ups of his left hand. Can’t remember the show. It wasn’t The Wilburn Bros or Porter Wagoner but one of the others with a similar format.
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Seems to me Dick Meis played steel with a flatpick.

I tried it a couple of times. Found I needed my index finger
more for picking notes.
Chris Harwood

Post by Chris Harwood »

thanks for all the replies to date. I'm finding some great stuff...and stuff I realized, that I had no idea existed. Just amazing you can find when pointed in the right directions.
Sid and Boogie are two, amazing stand outs! Finding plenty of stuff and giving me confidence to keep on my path of flat picks...for now at least
Chris Harwood

Post by Chris Harwood »

OMG Sid Hudson...rest his soul. Not being knowledgeable of the Nashville A team specifics and intimates..., back when...he had to be part of it. Tell me so.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Sid was definitely from another planet. What whizz on guitar and steel. Boogie was also amazing. Mike Bourque is one of the younger hot pickers using a flatpick. Most of the guys doing this are also serious guitar players. Seems be adopted from that. I play guitar as well but decided early on to use fingerpicks because all my early heroes did. Plus I had already developed fingerstyle guitar in the Chet Atkins style so it was more natural for me.
Chris Harwood

Post by Chris Harwood »

I saw vids where both Sid and Boogie did use finger picks....but those seemed to be the exception. It was glorious to hear their flat picking technique on the steel however. Definitely not a limitation that I could hear.
I think Sid may have been a better guitar player. There's a young gun named Tom Bukevac that has a resume and a never ending list of songs out of Nashville, that he played on. He's very good but yes; Sid is on another level while Tom is more rock oriented I would imagine. Was Sid more a session or a road player?... or probably both I'd guess?
Any rate...some excellent replies.
I also stumbled on a YouTube channel where a huge collection of 78 and some 33rpm records have been uploaded. Huge amounts of classic Hawiian steel and everything from Krupa to Goodman to everything in between. A pure gold mine of yesterday's music.
Chris Harwood

Post by Chris Harwood »

Here is that YouTube channel, that might be of anyone's interest. Easily another lifetime could be spent just listening to clips on this channel.

https://www.youtube.com/@konidolfine/featured
Chris Harwood

Post by Chris Harwood »

EDIT: oops..double post

Might as well use it for a pic of my studio mates! (shameless photo dump!)
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

I thinkk that Bobbe Seymor played with finger picks.
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Yes Junior Brown plays flat pick and two finger pics on his Guitar and Git-Steel and Hawaiian STeel and Pedal STeel; on all his albums. Here's the intro to his latest Git-steel with the steel being "Shobud" pedal steel>
https://youtu.be/m9Pjpi8Jv4s
Yes Junior played ShoBud pedal steel on all his albums with pedal steel also; with his Git-Steel.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

I told Sid once watching him had convinced me that the rest of us were doing it wrong. He got a good laugh out of that.
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA