Question about the Oahu

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Chris Harwood

Question about the Oahu

Post by Chris Harwood »

I bought this guitar in the late 60's or early 70's and it survived all my rock and roll gigs, always tuned to open E

The Kluson 3 on a plate have been changed to individual Kluson vintage style and it appears the pickup has had a Tele style put in it...IDK..just going by the open space around it. Oddly, I've never opened it up and it's been a solid player. All I've ever done is change strings and a couple of fret inlays have popped out over the years, which I just put in new ones.

My question is: I thought the "Diana" was more detailed cosmetically and this is more like the Tonemasters. Why the "Diana" on the headstock? I've never seen another one exactly like this. Also...the bridge pickup cover shrunk, which I still have, but wont fit like it did when I had it originally. I could re-drill the screw holes on the cover, which are female threaded holes on the guitar...but in all these years, I always take off covers like these.

But...I'm more interested in why the "Diana" on the headstock. Also, no serial number or indications of where one ever was...so I have no idea of the date. A bit curious there. I suppose if I open it up, and the pots are still original...they might give a clue?

I've got the brown, rectangular case, not the form fitting one......and I'm just guessing the Tonemasters and Dianas were kinda changing, cosemetically over the years?

Any rate...thanks to anyone that can help with some answers.

Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

Yeah, the post-War Diana typically sported a more decorated fretboard. Occasionally you see one like yours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT0MywqQWIA.

Whether they were ordered like this or whether Kay just threw together whatever materials they could get their hands on is a question lost to time, or at least to someone with every Oahu catalog.

These Kay-built examples did not have serials. The Valco-built ones did.
Chris Harwood

Post by Chris Harwood »

yeah...that one looks to have a different pickup and the tuner buttons look to be metal?...swapped out too?
If you were guessing... are we talking 40's or 50's?
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

Yeah, probably replacement tuners on that one too.

Probably 1940s. The Oahu catalogs are a little hard to deciper; the '48 catalog, for example, shows a Kay-made Tonemaster opposite a Valco-made Diana. It could just be the re-use of an old photograph, but it's clear that most if not all Oahu steels were built by Valco by 1951.
Chris Harwood

Post by Chris Harwood »

Thx Noah. What to you indicates its a Kay vs Valco? Lack of the little serial number plate?

EDIT: yes you mentioned that
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

The easiest way to tell is the pickup: Valco-built Oahus all have the string-through pickup, while Kays have the under-string unit.

In the absence of the original pickup, you can also tell from the bridge/baseplate. The Valco steels have the strings anchored into holes in the baseplate, whereas Kay used a cast metal tailpiece like on yours. There are a few other differences, but that's the easiest way to tell them apart.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Looks like there's a Gibson PU-380 pickup (commonly referred to as the "Melody Maker" pickup) in the Diana, as first seen in the 1957 Skylarks:
Chris Harwood

Post by Chris Harwood »

Thanks Jack and Noah. Good info to satisfy the curiosity.