Peavy sells out warehouse of NOS parts.

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dan Murphy

Peavy sells out warehouse of NOS parts.

Post by Dan Murphy »

Anyone hear about this? I was at a jam with Mike McGee and we were takling Peavey amp shop talk. He said they sold all the NOS parts and wont be refurbing any more old Peavey products. They will only work on warranty repairs! :eek: :eek:
Bryan Parnell

Post by Bryan Parnell »

They indeed sold a very large quantity of parts. I am not sure if they will still be servicing vintage Peavey products.
Don Mogle

Parts

Post by Don Mogle »

Bad news for sure. I'm hoping we have some local amp techs that still stock some parts to keep these old workhorses running. Good thing Peavey amps have a good reputation for lasting forever (almost). I know those dual pots are almost impossible to find. I wonder if the Peavey amps that don't have these dual pots are still in trouble of getting repaired? Or are there suitable replacements parts that could still be used??

These Peavey parts issues are yet another reason to reconsider tube amps for longevity. Yes, they can be heavy. But at least you can repair or rebuild them as the need arises.

I wonder how Quilter will be addressing parts/maintenance issues in the future? Maybe some of you Quilter guys can answer this question. I love the idea of very light amp. And many of you have written wonderful things about the TB 202. I know Travis Toy wouldn't use junk. I'm even tempted to take the TB 202 plunge too. Still, I wonder about how these amps were perform in the long-term. I seriously doubt they will come close to the longevity of the Peavey amps. I really hope I'm wrong on this. Time will tell.
Karl Paulsen

Post by Karl Paulsen »

That is disappointing to hear. Anyone have a general idea how much Peavey parts are off the shelf available elsewhere?

I better buy the pot to fix my bandit now I guess. If I can find someone selling one.
Nickel and Steel. Sad Songs and Steel Guitar.
https://www.facebook.com/NickelandSteel

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

Most everything needed for repair should still be available, pots, resistors, caps, are pretty universal, and transistors can be substituted. I suspect one can even find a comparable PT if needed, although there comes a time when everything gets too expensive to repair!
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

All my amps are old and I like 'em. :D
Erv
Dale Foreman

Peavey

Post by Dale Foreman »

I find this hard to believe because their repair service is still doing repairs. I sent a Nashville 400 not long ago and it was repaired and returned promptly!😳😳
Rittenberry Prestige(2)
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

If this is true, it is news to me.

I will find out for sure and post. I will call the man himself.

Bill
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Ken Morgan

Post by Ken Morgan »

I imagine if true, it makes good sense to bean counters. Hard to keep selling new products when amps made in 1982 are still in use.
67 Shobud Blue Darling III, scads of pedals and such, more 6 strings than I got room for

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX
Dan Murphy

Peavey NOS parts sale

Post by Dan Murphy »

Hey Mike Brown any info on this? I dont know who bought the inventory.I heard Peavey is only repairing the newer products that are under warranty. UGHH :eek:
Richard Sinkler

Re: Peavey NOS parts sale

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Dan Murphy wrote:Hey Mike Brown any info on this? I dont know who bought the inventory.I heard Peavey is only repairing the newer products that are under warranty. UGHH :eek:
Mike hasn't been with Peavey for quite some time.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

To the above poster. Mike Brown has not been with TV for several years. As far as repairs here is the statement from the man himself yesterday

"As far as the non warranty repairs, that's not true but we are down to just three techs and are encouraging people to use service centers out in the field to keep our work load down. We still have a variety of old parts although the older the units the more parts are becoming obsolete and that's just natural as US manufacturers shut down due to going off shore."
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Thanks Bill for clearing up the issues. Yes eventually no parts will be available and those great amps will become landfill. I have seen this far too often in the electronic industry and most anything else.
Don Mogle

Post by Don Mogle »

Bill Ferguson wrote:To the above poster. Mike Brown has not been with TV for several years. As far as repairs here is the statement from the man himself yesterday

"As far as the non warranty repairs, that's not true but we are down to just three techs and are encouraging people to use service centers out in the field to keep our work load down. We still have a variety of old parts although the older the units the more parts are becoming obsolete and that's just natural as US manufacturers shut down due to going off shore."
Unfortunately, it seems Peavey is one of the US manufacturers that moved manufacturing offshore. Do they manufacture anything in the US anymore? Bill?
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

I don't think so, but there are some plans in the works.

Yep, sadly, almost every company moved offshore in order to compete.
Blame your government, not the companies. IMHO

Hope companies will be moving home soon.
David Ball

Post by David Ball »

It's interesting but somewhat depressing that old tube amps are still easier to source parts for than their later solid state successors. I'm afraid it's all part of the planned or unplanned obsolescence that took over in the 60's.

Early transistors are far rarer than tubes. Early chips probably even rarer. Had it not been for the USSR military, none of this stuff would be that easy to find nowadays.

Dave
Dan Murphy

Peavey parts

Post by Dan Murphy »

:) Thanks Bill for the detective work. Close it up please.