Fender 400 - 40 Yrs In The Case....Price Lowered

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Joe Rogers

Fender 400 - 40 Yrs In The Case....Price Lowered

Post by Joe Rogers »

This is the cleanest Fender 400 you will ever see. It has been in the case for the last 40 years. Hardshell case is in good condition, 4 floor pedals. There are a few minor dings, but for a guitar that is approx. 61 yrs of age, you will not find an original specimen in better condition. Look at the photo of the pedal bar...not a dot of rust on the screws. The leg bag is in mint condition. I am listing this guitar for $1775, no trades whatsoever. Because of changes to Paypal & other electronic payment systems, I would prefer a personal check, cashier's check, or cash if delivery in person. I will wait for funds to clear before delivery.

If you have not priced shipping lately, know that it is absolutely outrageous. I charge actual shipping costs, I do not mark up shipping. I have no doubt $250 would likely be an absolute minimum. I have the means to getting the guitar to Nashville. I also play on the road and will be in the following areas before the end of the year: Missouri, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Georgia, Florida, New Mexico, and Colorado. If you don't mind a drive to pick up in person, you would have the assurance of the guitar arriving safely.

Joe Rogers
Last edited by Joe Rogers on 30 Aug 2023 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tommy Auldridge

Post by Tommy Auldridge »

Joe: what a beautiful steel guitar. What is your asking price. When and where will you be in Maryland? Thanks, Tommy.....
Joe Rogers

Post by Joe Rogers »

The price is listed in the posting. I will be in Frederick MD September 22.

Joe Rogers
Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

Man this guitar is just begging for someone to Ralph Mooney chops on this time capsule. Great looking guitar brother. Mike
S12 MSA Classic Nashville 400 with fox mods amp 1 volume pedal 1 Lil Izzy and 3 cords
Joe Rogers

Post by Joe Rogers »

Yessir, it has Mooney in its DNA... :D

Joe Rogers
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

beautiful
Mark Perrodin

Post by Mark Perrodin »

when and where in new mexico do you plan on being?
mark
Pete McAvity

Post by Pete McAvity »

Beautiful. If you believe the interweb (and I've seent numerous members here echo this data), that case puts the guitar as completed around 1961 per this site:

http://guitarhq.com/fender.html#cases

Reading:

"From mid-1959 to 1961 the exterior of the Fender case changed. A new material called "Tolex" was now used, in a coffee-with-cream type brown color. Tolex is a rough rubber-like compound that was much more durable than tweed. Brown leather ends stayed the same. The interior burnt-orange plush used from 1958 stayed until about 1961 when the interior of the cases changed to a dark orange plush. Also around 1960 the center manual latch changed positions from under the case handle, to just outside of the case handle (the latch's postion could hurt your knuckles when carrying the case.) Click here for a picture of the early square style Fender cases from mid 1954 to 1963. This picture includes the "center pocket" tweed case, the "side pocket Koylon" tweed case, the "side pocket burnt orange" tweed case, and the 1962 style "brown" case with the dark orange interior. The only case missing from this photo is the 1959 to 1961 style "brown" case with the lighter colored burnt orange interior."

That tracks as it appears to have the original style metal petals and the second version of pickup (Jaguar vs. Jazzmaster style), making it a unique transition guitar (I totally stand to be corrected on this as my history comes from discussions here).

Hope I'm not stomping on your ad, Joe. Best of luck w/ yer sale!
Excel Superb D10, Kline U12, Sarno Black Box, Goodrich L120, Boss DD5, Baby Bloomer, 1965 Super Reverb chopped to a head, feeding a mystery PA cab w/ a K130.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"
Mark Perrodin

Post by Mark Perrodin »

the guitar is a 1963 transitional model. the case could have been in a pile of cases waiting to be used. 1963 is the year that 400’s went from long scale to short scale. the early 1963 models also had the pedal rack fender logo in the center. when the stamped steel pedals ran out fender went to a cast pedal and the logo changed and moved over to be in line with the fender logo on the frame that holds the wooden body. i have owned three 1963 400’s with stamped pedals and two with cast. on all of them i took the tuner tray off and all read 1963. the type of pedal and logo placement will verify if you have an early or later 1963. the other major cue that this is a 1963 400 is the sunburst finish. the long scale guitars were a solid colored finish.

this guitar that is advertised for sale would be well worth acquiring due to it’s fine condition.
Mark Perrodin

Post by Mark Perrodin »

when and where in new mexico are you going to be?
mark
Joe Rogers

Post by Joe Rogers »

Mark, we will be in Carlsbad on Oct. 28th. And thanks so much for the history lesson..!! I knew it was a transition guitar, just wasn't sure of the exact year.

Joe Rogers
Joe Rogers

Post by Joe Rogers »

Price lowered to $1775.

Joe Rogers
Last edited by Joe Rogers on 30 Aug 2023 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Very nice looking guitar and nicely priced.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Joe Rogers

Post by Joe Rogers »

Thank you Chris...

Joe Rogers
Joe Rogers

Post by Joe Rogers »

Guitar Sold pending payment.....forum donation upon receipt of payment.

Thank you.

Joe Rogers