Quick tips: Barring the strings at the nut

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mike Neer

Quick tips: Barring the strings at the nut

Post by Mike Neer »

I post little tips and tricks videos on YouTube every week or so. This latest one is about barring the strings at the nut, something you may not have thought of before. This enables you to add vibrato to the open strings in any tuning. You can also do an open string harmonic and slide up from the nut—I forgot to include that in this video.

Subscribe to my channel and get notified of new tips and tricks. I’ve got a million of ‘em!

https://youtu.be/kkuBHs0BPNk
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Mike,
I appreciate that little tip.
I've always shied away from open strings because of the lack of vibrato but now I see a solution to the problem.
Thanks, :D
Erv
Joe Cook

Post by Joe Cook »

Never thought of that, Mike. Thanks, I could use a few tips!
David Matzenik

Post by David Matzenik »

Getting those string grooves right at the nut takes some care. Ideally, the bar should make contact with all the strings without any pressure. The fatter the bass strings, the deeper they have to be. So you cannot just set them all at say, half diameter.
Don't go in the water after lunch. You'll get a cramp and drown. - Mother.
Carey Hofer

Post by Carey Hofer »

Thank you for the tip Mike!
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I encourage everyone to try out the open string harmonic and then right at the top of the nut place the bar on the string and slide to the desired note. It should be completely seamless and the harmonic should continue to ring but with a changing pitch. This may take a little practice but once you get it, it’s a very useful trick.
Carey Hofer

Post by Carey Hofer »

So sorry to highjack the thread Mike, but I was listening to your blues Chicago style-FROM 9 YEARS AGO, (found it by accident when I was watching the You Tube video for this thread) and it was awesome! Never heard any blues on non pedal steel that I like better. The tone is just perfect! THANK YOU!
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I was thinking of this thread while reading a book on pedal steel guitar repair. Needless to say, do not use this technique on a roller nut with pedals or palm pulls. It can cause the roller to flare and interfere with the return of a pull, requiring replacement of the roller nut. Can't imagine it would be a problem for lap steel unless you have some palm pedals.
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Interesting technique that I've never seen before. I think this would actually be a form of vibrato (a fluctuation of pitch) rather than tremolo (a fluctuation of volume)...? Or maybe the volume is changing as well.
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

Great little effect (which I stumbled upon as well).

I think I accidentally ‘whomped’ on the nut of my Pogreba Weissenborn, producing a harmonic-like tone. I can also get sitar like sounds if I roll off the nut just a hair - especially nice if I want the open chord to ring/sustain a bit (that ‘space’ between notes thang.)

Also on the Weiss- because it’s hollow - a light bonk on the nut results in a nice hollow percussive tone.

Happy accidents are my faves
Larry Pogreba Baritone 'Weissenheimer
Lazy River mahogany standard Weiss
Lazy River ‘Tear Drop” weissenborn
Larrivee OM5
Samuel Phillippe

Post by Samuel Phillippe »

Wow, I didn't know I was doing something very few are. I have been using this technique since my first attempt at playing. Reason.....I couldn't lift the bar in a timely fashion without slamming it back down.
Thanks Mike for the tip I didn't know I knew.

Sam