Help identifying lap steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Aidan Pickering

Help identifying lap steel

Post by Aidan Pickering »

Can anyone help me correctly identify this National lap steel? From what I've seen and read I think it's a Chicagoan...except none of the others I've see looks like this one. They either have the ornate fingerboard decorated with the musical notes or the volume and tone pots are in a different location and/or look different. The serial number suggests early 40s - maybe this is how they made them right at the beginning?

Aidan
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

According to Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars, the guitar pictured would have been made between 1941 and 1942. It's a National Chicago lap steel (not the later Chicagoan). This is pretty rare - I don't see many of them from this era.
Last edited by Brad Bechtel on 21 Jul 2023 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Appears to have the same Electromuse pickup as the Electromuse lap steel....any connection there?
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Jerry's right - a closer inspection of the pickup assembly shows that it is a replacement for the original National "string through" pickup. You can see the holes where the original pickup would have been attached.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Aidan Pickering

Interesting. All I can say is that pick up screams! Thanks

Aidan
Michael Miller

Post by Michael Miller »

Isn't that pickup installed backwards?
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

Nope, the bridge and pickup are one unit and the bridge always has to be south of the pickup.
Michael Miller

Post by Michael Miller »

One the few I have seen, the writing on the pickup goes the other way:

https://reverb.com/item/65313142-electr ... -hard-case
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

The only difference is the silk-screening. Functionally it doesn't matter which way it faces.
Aidan Pickering

Interesting observation and thanks for the responses. I have to say though I’m a little confused. Does this mean the entire bridge assembly, volume and tone pots and all, are not original? If so it’s odd because everything fits so neatly with the pick guard and there are no obvious signs of a hatchet job. Does anyone have a picture of an original 1940 or 41 Chicago (not Chicagoan) so I can see what it’s supposed to look like? I can’t find one despite searching. When I get a chance I’ll post a short video of how it sounds which is pretty amazing IMO. I just moved and it’s upstairs with a pile of other gear so I won’t get to it for a little while.
Thanks all
Aidan
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

Does this mean the entire bridge assembly, volume and tone pots and all, are not original?
Correct.
If so it’s odd because everything fits so neatly with the pick guard and there are no obvious signs of a hatchet job.
Looks like they had to take the end binding off the board. The pickguards are a later addition, probably to cover the holes from the original pots.
Does anyone have a picture of an original 1940 or 41 Chicago (not Chicagoan) so I can see what it’s supposed to look like?
Aidan Pickering

Thanks Noah. Very helpful.
Aidan