Why is String Tension so Low?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Justin Shaw

Why is String Tension so Low?

Post by Justin Shaw »

For example the low C with a 0.070 is around 25 lbs of tension, so it has the least tension on the whole D-10. But then it also has a 3 half step down change, leaving the tension under 20 lbs.

I've read Bob's article on the reasoning behind E9 string gauges and it makes sense to me (https://b0b.com/wp/articles/e9th-gauges/). The tension on the E9 makes sense to me too.

But when it comes to the string gauges for the low end of C6, and for the low strings on many Universal or 14 string setups I really don't understand why the gauges aren't cranked way up. I much prefer the tone, sustain, and power of the higher gauges.

Is it just that the higher tension makes the pedals stiff? I must be missing something since 0.070 is standard.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

My own reasoning is that the low strings on the C6 are meant to blend in rather than draw attention or compete with a bass guitar.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Jerry Jones

Post by Jerry Jones »

As a practical matter, a .070 gauge string is about the largest size string that will fit through the eye of a tuning key post. To use a larger string would mean the outer string wrap would have to terminate exactly between the roller nut and the 10th string tuning key. That would be doable for bulk special order but every brand instrument would likely require a different outer string wrap length....that’s usually referred to as the “taper length.”

There’s also the matter of sharp angle bends of a large core string around a small diameter guitar style tuning key post.
Jerry Jones
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Jerry Jones wrote:As a practical matter, a .070 gauge string is about the largest size string that will fit through the eye of a tuning key post. To use a larger string would mean the outer string wrap would have to terminate exactly between the roller nut and the 10th string tuning key….
Well, it would probably be easier to re-drill or enlarge the hole, wouldn’t it? On my old guitar, I always used a . 072 gauge for the 10th. That is, until they stopped carrying them in local music stores. :roll: (And I didn’t have to drill the key!)

Anyhow, if you want to use a lighter or heavier gauge, all you have to do is buy a string and put it on. I never worried about tension specs, as I imagine it varies from one manufacturer to another. (Smaller core, larger wrap. And larger core, smaller wrap.) I’m sure that players far better than me probably don’t worry about it either, as long as the sound and playability they need are there.

Anyhow, I sure like that big thump the boo-wah pedal gives me! :mrgreen:
Justin Shaw

Post by Justin Shaw »

Thank you for the replies!

Bill Stafford used a 120 gauge for the low E on his 14 string Sierra. Not every steel can do that because of gauge concerns like those mentioned. I also understand not wanting to run over the bass player, but if I'm playing in that register I'd rather do it with good tone and sustain.

So I have no problem putting on a 074 or whatever. I'm mostly wondering why 070 is the standard and why it doesn't seem to bother anyone else haha.
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

I like an.068 for the low C and have even used an .066 before. I think the lighter guage has more sustain and character. The .070 is just a little too "thuddy?" for me.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Actually the .068 was the standard for years and I still prefer the .068 instead of the .070.
Just my opinion.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

.068" here, too. Even that is a little 'thuddy' and loses its ring pretty quickly. Perhaps that's because it bears the brunt of my bare skinned forearms when I play E9. :)
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------