Buddy's Preferred Phaser.....

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dennis Detweiler

Buddy's Preferred Phaser.....

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

Does anyone know which brand of phaser Buddy preferred when he was into a line-up of effect pedals?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I know he used a MXR Phase 90, per the equipment list below:

http://www.buddyemmons.com/erniegear.htm
Dennis Detweiler

On track 11 of a live album he talks through his effects, but only mentioned the brands of two: Ibanez chorus and MXR compressor. He said he had to have the compressor modified. I'm guessing he experimented with other brands. I'm just wondering if he had to have the Phase 90 modded also? Some recent posts on the forum concerning the Phase 90 expressed some mild distortion when in use? Since this Emmons CD was produced, there are other brands on the scene and upgraded models of some of the older ones. Some of the newer brands and upgraded reissued phasers have a few more controls on them which may negate the need for modifications? I'm trying to narrow down the purchase of a phaser.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Dennis, I have a phase 90 and a Phase 100, and have used them quite a bit. I’ve never had a distortion problem. But then again, I use a pot pedal, and I always run the amp gains high. Players that use powered volume pedals, and players that do not run their amp gain high, may indeed experience some distortion problems.

A lot of times, problems come not from the equipment, but how the player uses that equipment. :eek:
Dennis Detweiler

Donny, yes that makes a lot of sense.
I latched onto a TC Helix and it will be here in a few weeks. I watched several video reviews and leaned toward the MXR or Helix. I can probably download the MXR into its toneprint storage and have the option of both. I'll post results after I work with it for a while. Thanks for the input.
John Larson

Post by John Larson »

Dennis Detweiler wrote:On track 11 of a live album he talks through his effects, but only mentioned the brands of two: Ibanez chorus and MXR compressor. He said he had to have the compressor modified. I'm guessing he experimented with other brands. I'm just wondering if he had to have the Phase 90 modded also? Some recent posts on the forum concerning the Phase 90 expressed some mild distortion when in use? Since this Emmons CD was produced, there are other brands on the scene and upgraded models of some of the older ones. Some of the newer brands and upgraded reissued phasers have a few more controls on them which may negate the need for modifications? I'm trying to narrow down the purchase of a phaser.
Buddy was likely using an older "script" logo phaser from the original MXR run is has a less pronounced effect. The modern block logo will lead to a distorted sound. MXR makes a few models now that have switches for the different models in one pedal.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

Donny Hinson wrote:I know he used a MXR Phase 90, per the equipment list below:

http://www.buddyemmons.com/erniegear.htm
This is Ernie Renn's list of equipment ...not, Buddy Emmons'.
Tim Harr

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89