Pics of my MSA

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Wilkerson

Pics of my MSA

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

Image here's pics of the MSA I'm purchasing. SLIM
S12 MSA Classic Nashville 400 with fox mods amp 1 volume pedal 1 Lil Izzy and 3 cords
Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

Meet Pearl. She will be coming home soon.I can already tell you I love this guitar. Slim
S12 MSA Classic Nashville 400 with fox mods amp 1 volume pedal 1 Lil Izzy and 3 cords
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

I had one of your guitar's little sisters, MSA, White Formica, Black trim S10 4 and 4. Played it for about 20 years. Learned a lot on that guitar. A young guy in Illinois now has it for his steel guitar journey.
Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

Bobby D. Jones wrote:I had one of your guitar's little sisters, MSA, White Formica, Black trim S10 4 and 4. Played it for about 20 years. Learned a lot on that guitar. A young guy in Illinois now has it for his steel guitar journey.
Bobby I've owned several steels and this one by far is probably the the cleanest older model guitars of owned from the 70's Era. I love the tone on these old MSA Classics. I had a D-12 rosewood that was stolen that was by far my favorite guitar although it was heavier than a mack truck lol 😂
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Hey Mike, I have a D12 Rosewood MSA with 10 and 5 that you could have cheap! I play an SD 12 now.

Yes, mine is heavier than a White Freightliner. But a good ol' good'un!
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

beautiful guitar, congratulations Mike
Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

Chris Brooks wrote:Hey Mike, I have a D12 Rosewood MSA with 10 and 5 that you could have cheap! I play an SD 12 now.

Yes, mine is heavier than a White Freightliner. But a good ol' good'un!
Chris I appreciate the offer brother but im spending my alloted budget for this guitar. I have always wanted to get into the universal side of the steel guitar. Appreciate it though my friend best wishes Mike
Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

Damir Besic wrote:beautiful guitar, congratulations Mike
Thanks Damir
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Speaking of MSA's... Day before yesterday I got my '70 Classic D-10 out of the case (where it had been sitting comfortably for the last 7-8 years) set it up and played it for awhile, just because I felt guilty about being neglectful. It was still in tune and I was struck by how good it sounded and how smoothly it played. Those are fine guitars indeed! ;-)
Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

Dave Hopping wrote:Speaking of MSA's... Day before yesterday I got my '70 Classic D-10 out of the case (where it had been sitting comfortably for the last 7-8 years) set it up and played it for awhile, just because I felt guilty about being neglectful. It was still in tune and I was struck by how good it sounded and how smoothly it played. Those are fine guitars indeed! ;-)
that's awesome Dave I am glad you got her setup and played for a little bit. And you're right these old MSA classics are tone monsters. Mike
Last edited by Mike Wilkerson on 18 Aug 2023 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

Beautiful guitar. I still have D10 Classic I bought new in 1977. It still sounds great and plays smooth. Stays in tune too.
You can observe a lot just by looking
Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

Bill Duncan wrote:Beautiful guitar. I still have D10 Classic I bought new in 1977. It still sounds great and plays smooth. Stays in tune too.
Thanks Bill. This guitar will last me the rest of my life. It's hardley been played. I'm looking forward to getting this ole girl fired up and playing. Mike
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

I had its 10 string twin, my first pro model steel, after learning on a Maverick.. Brand new from MSA, 5&4, even came with an MSA volume pedal and pedal rack bracket. $750 if I recall.. Great guitar that I loved... After a while I realized it didn't have the bright sound I was hearing on the records I was learning from, and wanted that sound for the good country rock bands I was playing with in NY/NJ... Those were the days when there were not many aftermarket pickups around.. Contacted the best luthier in NJ at the time, Tom something or other, and had him rewind the Supersustain humbucker, and isolate the coils.. I installed an on-on-on switch of some type, and was able to go full humbucker, or either coil.. It absolutely transformed that mica body MSA.. Went from dark, to nice and bright with some nice twang.. Unlike other mica MSA guitars I have had, this first one never had problems with sustain.. It was a very good sounding steel, after that pickup rewind. At some point I sold that thing to friend for something stupid, like $150 or something.. blockhead..... I still miss it sometimes.. Your 12 is the spitting image of my old MSA.. I learned how to set up and repair all pull pedal guitars on that white MSA.. thanks for the memory... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

Bob Carlucci wrote:I had its 10 string twin, my first pro model steel, after learning on a Maverick.. Brand new from MSA, 5&4, even came with an MSA volume pedal and pedal rack bracket. $750 if I recall.. Great guitar that I loved... After a while I realized it didn't have the bright sound I was hearing on the records I was learning from, and wanted that sound for the good country rock bands I was playing with in NY/NJ... Those were the days when there were not many aftermarket pickups around.. Contacted the best luthier in NJ at the time, Tom something or other, and had him rewind the Supersustain humbucker, and isolate the coils.. I installed an on-on-on switch of some type, and was able to go full humbucker, or either coil.. It absolutely transformed that mica body MSA.. Went from dark, to nice and bright with some nice twang.. Unlike other mica MSA guitars I have had, this first one never had problems with sustain.. It was a very good sounding steel, after that pickup rewind. At some point I sold that thing to friend for something stupid, like $150 or something.. blockhead..... I still miss it sometimes.. Your 12 is the spitting image of my old MSA.. I learned how to set up and repair all pull pedal guitars on that white MSA.. thanks for the memory... bob
Bob Thank you for sharing that and I'm glad I was able to bring back a memory. Best Wishes. Mike
Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

TTT
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Mike that's a cool guitar. I bought a D10 classic MSA in 2016 to add with my collection and leave setup. I only have 2 knees on the right and planned on adding 2 more. It has a set of white narrow pickups that sounded too thin for me, suspect single coils. I intend to swap pickups but haven't done so yet. Heavy guitar but solid as ever. I need to give it some better attention and play it again. Glad you posted.
Keith Murrow

Post by Keith Murrow »

Beautiful guitar, Mike. I have always liked the white woodgrain finish on the MSA Classics and Imperials.
Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

Thanks gentlemen for the kind words. This guitar currently is set up extended E9 with 3 floor pedal and 4 knee levers with 12 strings. I am going to add 1 floor pedal and 1 vertical knee lever and use Zane Becks 1977 setup. I have talked extensively with Dan Burnham and after our conversations we had I feel in my heart me and this setup will get along fine. Best wishes my friends have a blessed day. Mike
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

Great looking guitar... it was born..January 2, 1974
Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

David Wright wrote:Great looking guitar... it was born..January 2, 1974
Thanks for the info David. She has a great tone as well
Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

TTT
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Meet Pearl’s cousins Blondie!! She’s available for trade.!

Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

This is the last picture of Baby before she went into the case, For delivery to her new owner. The pad and bar/pick holder I added to the guitar with Velcro, Comes off to go in case.

I added this switch under the guitar. It allowed bypassing the onboard volume and tone control. Gave the guitar a much better tone, And more volume to use on stage.