New Sierra S-12 Keyless with D13 tuning

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Greg Cutshaw

New Sierra S-12 Keyless with D13 tuning

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I recently received a new Sierra 12 string keyless guitar outfitted with the D13 tuning. It's a really unique machine with a low impedance pickup and a work of art. Here's a link to a bunch of specs, pictures, sound files and comments about this guitar. I'm sure I missed some of the finer points and I'll have Ross at Sierra set me straight if any changes to my page are needed!

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/Sierra%20Si ... yless.html

John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Sweet! I never thought Ross Shafer would consent to such a complex build. At least that's what he swore to me a few years back. Looking forward to your continued notes on how it plays and sounds, Greg!
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

You're almost right John, believe it or not, the setup on this was not nearly as complex as a few guitars I've done since whining to you about not wanting to build loaded up guitars. I was actually a bit surprised (and stoked)at how smoothly Greg's rig went together. There were only a couple of real timing and traffic control conundrums, but I was able to clear them up pretty quickly.

I'm still very much a "less is more" kinda guy. I've got a nice simple 4 x 5 E9 S10 on the bench....almost feels like vacation setting it up!
Jim Norman

Re: New Sierra S-12 Keyless with D13 tuning

Post by Jim Norman »

Greg, that's a beauty. Thanks for including sound clips--it sounds as good as it looks.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Beautiful Greg. I've been playing with D13 for only a few days so this will be inspirational and aspirational. You didn't tab out any of your sound samples did you by any chance?
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Thanks all and Ross can rest easy now that his creation is here in one piece!

Here's an example for my D13 tab:

D13 Tab Pedals 4,5,6,7

Here's what it sounds like:

D13 Tab Pedals 4,5,6,7 Audio

Here a link to my D13 tab page with 22 tabs that cover most of the basics of this tuning including some non-pedal stuff:

D13 copedant tabs and sounds
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Gonna figure this one out next and try to get close to that vintage tone with the Sierra and the Tone X pedal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRcElg8PyBo

Oh yeah listen to that up front steel in the mix and the in your face reverb!Q
Dan Kelly

Post by Dan Kelly »

Congratulations Greg!

It seems you covered the bases very well in your review. The sound files are well done. THANKS.

One thing that continually impresses me about Ross' "New Era Sierra" is the sustain. It was very strong when I received the guitar in 2017. However, the sustain has improved noticeably over time. I am not sure how to account for this. I believe that the scalloped neck design and the Honduras Rosewood material choice for the neck contributes to the phenomenon. Also, given that the top of the guitar or, "soundboard" if you will, is only fixed at four points and "floats" independently from the body, to a big extent.

Closely related to the New Era's sustain, is the melodic harmonics that develop in a chord as it is sustained. I have owned quite a number of well known pedal steels that all sounded good. However, none of them had the rich, clear tonal quality of the New Era's harmonics. I sit down to play and sometimes have difficulty getting past just listening to a chord blossom as it sustains! :-)

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on this as your new ax "breaks-in" over time.

Thanks for your review, Greg!
blah, blah, blah.
Hey You Kids! Get Off My Lawn!
blah, blah, blah.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Ross Shafer wrote:You're almost right John, believe it or not, the setup on this was not nearly as complex as a few guitars I've done since whining to you about not wanting to build loaded up guitars. I was actually a bit surprised (and stoked)at how smoothly Greg's rig went together. There were only a couple of real timing and traffic control conundrums, but I was able to clear them up pretty quickly.

I'm still very much a "less is more" kinda guy. I've got a nice simple 4 x 5 E9 S10 on the bench....almost feels like vacation setting it up!
If you were still in the bicycle game, you'd likely poo poo electronic shifting, eh? ;-) You build a lovely steel, my friend. So many innovative features!
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

This Sierra has a bit less of the atonal harmonics than the Excel D13 when you slide the bar up the neck. Much less than a typical keyless guitar. It also does harmonics like a bell just like my old Emmons PP.

Somewhere, in the Honduras, someone is advertising a guitar as made of genuine USA rosewood lol.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Here's a sample of this guitar with the reverb cut way back and with mono recording instead of stereo reverb. You can here a bit more of what the guitar sounds like in the room this way I think.

Sierra D13 in mono
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Greg,

What was the turn around time on the new sierra?
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I ordered it on 10/19/22 as a S-10 and then changed it to an S-12 with D13 around 3/15/23 and it was delivered on 8/4/23.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Greg Cutshaw wrote:Here's a sample of this guitar with the reverb cut way back and with mono recording instead of stereo reverb. You can here a bit more of what the guitar sounds like in the room this way I think.

Sierra D13 in mono
Fabulous tone plus nice playing, Greg! Kind of reminds me of a ZB or Klein.
E9 INSTRUCTION
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

John McClung wrote:Sweet! I never thought Ross Shafer would consent to such a complex build. At least that's what he swore to me a few years back. Looking forward to your continued notes on how it plays and sounds, Greg!
He does... and kindly so. My S12 has 6P & 8K (3 of which are verticals).

They are indeed in a class of their own.

... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Here's another mono track with the ToneX pedal direct to the Zoom R24. Again reduced reverb, some half pedaling on the last riff, a few high clear notes and a few C6 riffs.

Sierra D13 in mono sound clip 12
Dan Kelly

Post by Dan Kelly »

Great sound and great playing, Greg!
blah, blah, blah.
blah, blah, blah.
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Huge Thanks to Greg, not only for ordering a new Sierra, but especially for the thorough write up and pictorial tour he's published on his website.

Truth be told, I've done a fair bit of research over the years perusing the guitar reviews and pictures he posts. Very valuable stuff to say the least. I'm especially proud to have something I've built included in such away on his website.

Once again, Thank you Greg! And as always, thanks much to all those who've taken the leap of faith required to order one of these special guitars!
Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

Greg beautiful steel my friend. Is your D13 different from Johnny Cox's as far as pedals and knee levers are concerned? Just wondering and exploring the different and unique setups of players. Thanks Mike
S12 MSA Classic Nashville 400 with fox mods amp 1 volume pedal 1 Lil Izzy and 3 cords
Richard Alderson

Post by Richard Alderson »

Wow ! Truly stunning !
Derby SD-10 5x6; GFI S-10 5x5; GFI S-10 5x5; Zum D-10 8x7; Zum D-10 9x9; Fender 400; Fender Rumble 200; Nashville 400; Telonics TCA-500.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Mike, mine is an Emmons setup on pedals 1 & 3 and LKL/LKR. I've also added a 7th knee lever RKV for experimental purposes.
Trevor Marshall

Post by Trevor Marshall »

I currently play D10 but Greg's new Sierra steel that Ross built (& the Excels & MSA on Greg's website) are pretty inspiring. It will be interesting to see if the D13th 12 string tuning can be developed into a universal standard with options of reducing some potential clams, without losing the phenomenal versatility it offers. Also facilitating use of all the existing E9th/C6th knowledge & tuition material.

Here is where my thinking has got to so far (regret I don't have a U12 at present to test it out on). I'd value any feedback, ideas, advice where I've screwed up etc.

I understand splits are no problem & tuneable on modern PSGs (they usually work even on my old Bennett D10 but I can't fine tune them reliably). There are many opportunities for splits & fine engineering here which could be good for PSG builders new business.

In addition to the standard E9th analogous changes this also provides split Franklin pedal 4+X. Equivalent C6th using pedals 4-8 plus RKR using some splits (rather than Greg & Johnny Cox's pedals 5 & 8 without RKR if I've understood correctly). Standard C6th pedal 6 is available using B+LKV so I changed it to both lowers to cover pedal 6 & reverse pedal 6 options, E9th minor 3rds, pedals down b7 etc.

I'm surprised that Earnest Bovine's innovation of adding E9th string 7 full tone lower combined with lowering Ds (2&9) hasn't become more standardised. With string 1,2,8 raises on the other RK lever it delivers ±2 semitones movement of string 8 (string 7 on 10 string). These work well for more grip options (even glissando strums) by creating some simple unison harmony strings with pedals/levers, or more jazzy options. The changes on D13th string 5 (equivalent to added C# string in E9th) reduce issues with E9th ABC pedals, similarly for string 8 with pedals 4-8 (equivalent to added D string on C6th).

So many scales are almost completely covered by the D13th additional string notes, with all additional scale note options from the pedals - & so many chord options are available.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Thanks Ross for building such a great playing and sounding guitar.

Here's my first attempt at a complete song using this guitar:

Hear Sierra D13 Blues
Dan Kelly

Post by Dan Kelly »

There are distinct and appealing sounds there that you do not get from the E9th / C6th tunings. Good stuff!

I thought the piano break was very creative!

Nice work, Greg!
blah, blah, blah.
blah, blah, blah.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Here's two more sound files with the Sierra showing a bit more of the tunings' range with the second one showing the non-pedal 13th chords in the beginning.

Sound file 13

Sound file 14