Noisy reverb - Nashville 112

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ron Pruter

Noisy reverb - Nashville 112

Post by Ron Pruter »

I seldom go beyond 12 o-clock setting but at 12 the ground hum becomes unacceptable. Pertinent facts-- Pre vol @9 oclock, post vol. @ 12.
Also, the hum is variable by turning post vol. Up or down. I'm sure this is not normal. I don't see any problems. With reverb off, no hum at all. Please help. Thx. Ron
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Pat Chong

Post by Pat Chong »

Hi Ron,
It would be a ground problem in the reverb circuit, shown by the effect the post and reverb controles have on the hum.

There is a molex connector with the reverb circuit:

1. Pull it off and reconnect it a few times, see if that helps, and check that none of the molex connector wires are loose.
2. While there is sound, wiggle the molex connector to check for good connrctions. (Be careful of the volume you are checking this at...)
3. Check if the reverb tank is grounded.

Let us know if this helped, or not.....Pat.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

The hum in the reverb circuit of the NV112 is pretty much normal.
I've had at least 10 of these amps and every one hummed (did not know the words, ha) when the reverb was turned up past 4.

It has been discussed many times and I have talked to the engineers at Peavey. Seems it was something in the design, but it is not considered a defect.
Unless you are playing alone, it is surely not noticable on stage.

Most players do not use the internal reverb in a recording studio, where it could cause a problem.

Hope this helps
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

Thanks guys. Ron
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Pat Chong

Post by Pat Chong »

Hi Ron, hope it helps.
Hi Bill,

Interesting input, from you and Peavey, themselves.

What you said would more likely be so, as I was going off of my Nv400, so what I said may not apply to the Nv112. However:

Your responce may explain a circuit in the Nv400 schematic, where, with IC u4, 1 "+" input is audio-grounded, but the other "+" input is grounded through a 22 ohm resistor going to audio ground, and a 15 ohm resistor going to chassis ground. I believe that would be a "hum cancelling" circuit, even though the schematic says that the 2 grounds are directly connected together at the instrument inputs.

I have tried to locate the same kind of circuit in Nv112 schematics, to test my theory, but every Nv112 schematic I pulled up (so far) had a note that it was the Nv1000 pre amp circuit, instead.

Interesting situation............Pat
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

The PreAmp circuit of the NV1000 and NV112 are the same.

Different power amps, speaker and cabinet size.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Pat Chong

Post by Pat Chong »

Hi Bill,

Yes, that had occured to me, too.

Anyway, thanks Bill, this is was interesting......Pat
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

All my NV 112s do that. I have to use outboard reverbs. Peavey has lost their way on reverbs. Remember how great the reverb was on the old Session 400s. Sounded like the reverbs on the old Sho Bud amps like Leon Rhodes'.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
John Talbott

Post by John Talbott »

I think my NV-112 reverb is exhibiting anomalous behavior. Works well and has no hum no matter where I set it.
Emmons LLG II
Mullen D10
EMCI RX D10
GFI Ultra D10
L120, L10k & StageOne Volume pedals
PV Spcl 130, NV112, NV400 & LTD400
Alesis Q-Verb/GT
PV TranstubeFex
Match-Bro
Mark Hepler

Unit's orientation doesn't help.

Post by Mark Hepler »

When I upgraded my spring unit I noticed that its placement caused issues: it's right under the power transformer.

Different locations/angles etc. can make a slight improvement.
Stephen Cowell

Re: Unit's orientation doesn't help.

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Mark Hepler wrote:When I upgraded my spring unit I noticed that its placement caused issues: it's right under the power transformer.

Different locations/angles etc. can make a slight improvement.
The pickup end is the sensitive one... put the reverb tank in so that the pickup end is far from the power transformer.

You can tell the pickup end because when you unplug the RCA and touch the tip it hums.

If the PT is in the middle all bets are off!
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

Sure seems like better shielding would solve this. Maybe a hack like wrapping the wires and pan in aluminum foil and grounding it??? Ron
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Clyde Mattocks wrote:All my NV 112s do that. I have to use outboard reverbs. Peavey has lost their way on reverbs. Remember how great the reverb was on the old Session 400s. Sounded like the reverbs on the old Sho Bud amps like Leon Rhodes'.
I never liked the Session 400 reverb. It sounded to clangy & metallic compared to the Webb 6-14 verb.

Since then I’ve played through N-400s and 112s, albeit using outboard reverb pedals.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Clyde Mattocks wrote:All my NV 112s do that. I have to use outboard reverbs. Peavey has lost their way on reverbs. Remember how great the reverb was on the old Session 400s. Sounded like the reverbs on the old Sho Bud amps like Leon Rhodes'.
I never liked the Session 400 reverb. It sounded to clangy & metallic compared to the Webb 6-14 verb.

Since then I’ve played through N-400s and 112s, albeit using outboard reverb pedals.
Karl Paulsen

Post by Karl Paulsen »

Tony Glassman wrote:

What's your recommendation for outboard Reverb pedals?
Nickel and Steel. Sad Songs and Steel Guitar.
https://www.facebook.com/NickelandSteel

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/