Help! The dreaded Goodrich pedal string problem

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Alex Cattaneo

Help! The dreaded Goodrich pedal string problem

Post by Alex Cattaneo »

The string on my volume pedal came undone, during a gig, obviously. Thanks, Murphy's law!

Anyhow, does anyone have a diagram or photo that shows how to wrap it around the pulley properly? Goodrich's website is pretty poor in the manuals department. Most of the links don't work.

https://goodrichsoundcompany.com/servic ... downloads/
Alex Cattaneo

Post by Alex Cattaneo »

This video explains it nicely. Guess I should have looked on youtube first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYtw37mwguE
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Alex, I took pictures of my working pedal in the up and down position so I have a reference. When this happens it's usually so long ago I can't count on remembering the method. The youtube video is a big help.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

Remember to correct the reason it happened as there are thousands of Goodrich pedals out there that don't have this problem.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Jim Palenscar wrote:Remember to correct the reason it happened as there are thousands of Goodrich pedals out there that don't have this problem.
Amen.

My two Goodrich pedals are slightly different on the inside.
I keep photos on my phone, just in case.

A couple of times a year I open up the pedals and snug up the strings.
Lee, from South Texas - Down On The Rio Grande

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

While you’re at it, put a new string on.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Roger Crawford wrote:While you’re at it, put a new string on.
You know, Roger, I've often thought about doing that; but, I've never had one break! I check for any wear and tear and haven't seen any.

Now I've jinxed myself...

:lol:

I always carry a spare Goodrich pedal and can swap them out in a matter of moments if a string slips (or breaks :eek: ).

Great pedals.
Lee, from South Texas - Down On The Rio Grande

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Lee, I also carry a spare pedal for the reason this post was made. And, I’ve never had a string break. But when I change pots, the string gets changed as well. It’s cheap and gives a little extra peace of mind.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Actually a new string is FREE when you purchase your replacement pot from me. I include a new string in every package.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
John Talbott

Post by John Talbott »

Greg Cutshaw has a really good page for Goodrich volume pedal pot replacement and string routing.

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/Goodrich%20 ... 20Pot.html
Emmons LLG II
Mullen D10
EMCI RX D10
GFI Ultra D10
L120, L10k & StageOne Volume pedals
PV Spcl 130, NV112, NV400 & LTD400
Alesis Q-Verb/GT
PV TranstubeFex
Match-Bro
Bryce Van Parys

Post by Bryce Van Parys »

Hey Bill Ferguson:

How do I get a pot and string from you?

Bryce
Bryce
Mullen Royal Precision SD10, Fender Deluxe 8 string

Double bass, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Bryce, I sent you a PM
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Peter Roush

Post by Peter Roush »

Image I have replaced the pot in my Sho-Bud volume pedal and the string is installed similar to the Goodrich except there is an extra piece at the off end. (see pic). Is this OEM? I was successful years ago but it was not easy. Is there an added trick to the Sho-Bud?
Last edited by Peter Roush on 15 Aug 2023 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Excel S12 C6/E9, Dekley D10, Dobro Steel Body, Mark VII Alto and tenor, lots of fiddles, Stew Mac Custom 6 string banjo, Peavey Nashville 400, Randall Steelman 500, Hilton vol. A wife who doesn’t know I just bought another guitar.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

You can order volume pots (w/ string) from me by simply sending me an email and I will respond to get your shipping info.

bferguson1947@gmail.com

Peter,
Post a picture of the mechanism of your ShoBud volume pedal and I will try to answer your question.
It is not hard to replace a string. A little patience and logical thinking. :-)
Peter Roush

Thanks Bill

Post by Peter Roush »

C/O the Sho-Bud. Finally got it but there must be an easier way. I had to remove that extra piece several times to set it, even then the string does not slide between those holes easily. Now that it is set at the right length it's a good thing because for sure it won't move. I have this pedal for sale because I use a Low Boy now. Dekley for practice and Hilton for gigs.
Excel S12 C6/E9, Dekley D10, Dobro Steel Body, Mark VII Alto and tenor, lots of fiddles, Stew Mac Custom 6 string banjo, Peavey Nashville 400, Randall Steelman 500, Hilton vol. A wife who doesn’t know I just bought another guitar.