Another tuning ?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

John Harmon

Another tuning ?

Post by John Harmon »

Hello again all. I'm playing an Epiphone, New model, that I like very well since I changed the pick up. I finally tuned open E and really like this. The notes seem to fall right where I need them if you know what I mean. Now I would like to have the 6 in the mix for minors and such. I don't want it up in the middle as in C6 because I tend to hit it when I shouldn't, even though I will start on C6 later. Right now it's nice to take to the nursing home when we go. My question is can I take off the heavy bass string since I never seem to use it and put a re-entrent string there? what are the downsides to this? Thanks for any help, John
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

You can replace the low string with a reentrant 6. I do it on my 7 strings.
Either b D A D F# A D or e G B D G B D.

On 6 strings you will end up with an awkward 1-7 interval (c# B E G# B E)

You might also consider the more usual E B E G# C# E or E C# E G# B E.
Current Tunings:
6 String | D – D A D F# A D
7 String | D/f – f D A D F# A D
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
John Harmon

Post by John Harmon »

Thanks for the reply Allan, I think I'll order some strings and give it a try.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

John, like many others you will probably go through just about every option available before you realize that having the 6th in your tuning is going to take some time to learn how to play, but you will also learn how incredibly worthwhile it was (I hope!).

I have exercises I give students to help them to get used to the placement of the 6th and how to isolate major and minor triads in position. It goes a long way towards helping get comfortable with it. I was in that boat for a long time myself but I think I have gotten to the point where I am in control of it. It just takes effort and it’s best if you start now rather than looking for alternative routes. But don’t let me stop you if you have your heart set on it. :D
Tim Toberer

Post by Tim Toberer »

The same C6 gauge strings work for A6. 6 string C6 and A6 have a narrower range than open E or D. Adding the 6th creates closer voicings and it really adds a jazzier or Hawaiian sound. With practice you can play anything. It depends on what you want to play, sound like I guess. I really love 6th tunings, but I tend to listen to a ton of music from the 30's and 40's. Maybe try a reentrant C# on the bottom can raise to D or D#. With E on top that could be fun. Experimentation is the best part of this instrument. You will settle in on something eventually.
John Harmon

Post by John Harmon »

Thanks for taking the time to reply all. I do have a Asher Jr tuned to C6 but the Epi gets most of my time. I do see why people like 7 strings now, lol. John
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

I would recommend doing a switcheroo, and setting up your Epi for C6, and your Asher for open E.

Why? To achieve the most out of C6, bar slants are essential. Not so much with open D or open E. And slants on the lower frets (for me, anyhow) are exponentially easier on a 22.5" scale than a 25" scale.