Changing the copedent by a half step

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Justin Shaw

Changing the copedent by a half step

Post by Justin Shaw »

I want to alter one of my copedent's changes by a half step. One of the pedals on my universal currently flattens D# to D, but I want it to flatten it to C#. It came from the factory in its current configuration. I'm assuming if I can tune the pedal down to C# using the fine tuners without resistance, then that's all I need to do? It's an Excel by the way.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

If it's already set up well without lots of extra slack, there's a fair chance that you don't have enough slack on the rod to be able to tighten the nylon tuning nut enough to get down to C# without overtuning it. Worth a try but watch and see if the open D# goes flat on you. If so, back it off.
You'll need to change bellcrank holes (you could change changer holes but I prefer the bellcrank solution). You will need a hole farther out on the crank from the cross shaft.
Justin Shaw

Post by Justin Shaw »

Jon Light wrote:If it's already set up well without lots of extra slack, there's a fair chance that you don't have enough slack on the rod to be able to tighten the nylon tuning nut enough to get down to C# without overtuning it. Worth a try but watch and see if the open D# goes flat on you. If so, back it off.
You'll need to change bellcrank holes (you could change changer holes but I prefer the bellcrank solution). You will need a hole farther out on the crank from the cross shaft.
OK thank you!
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I want to alter one of my copedent's changes by a half step. One of the pedals on my universal currently flattens D# to D, but I want it to flatten it to C#.
Is this an E9/B6 Universal? Which string are you referring to? If it's the 8th string, you may be losing a very important change.

~Lee
Justin Shaw

Post by Justin Shaw »

No it's a universal guitar but not E9/B6. I still have that change from D# to D elsewhere. I agree it's very important. Thank you for the caution I appreciate it.
Justin Shaw

Post by Justin Shaw »

Follow up question:

If I tune a string up a full step, do I have to adjust any of the changes? Or will the changes still do their jobs of +1 step, -1/2 or whatever, just from the new open note?

Obviously I'd need to tune the changes, but is that it? (Assume here that the string tension is such that tuning it up hasn't made it so tense that it's going to break by being pulled by the changes)
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

If you mean do you need to change the rodding, most likely not. Especially as higher tension requires shorter throws.
Yes, string gauges may need to be considered, to maintain mechanical balance, timbral balance and possibly prevent string breakage.
Justin Shaw

Post by Justin Shaw »

OK sounds good thank you.