Sho-Bud Pro I dilemma

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

T. C. Furlong

Sho-Bud Pro I dilemma

Post by T. C. Furlong »

Attn: Sho-Bud gurus
I have a dilemma. I am probably going to put this up for sale but before I do, I’m wondering if I should have two knee levers added by a pro. It’s a very, and I mean very clean, original Pro-1. In the world of vintage underarm guitars, it’s mortal sin and a mistake to alter an all original guitar in any way. I don’t think that’s true in pedal steel guitars. What do you think?
Dana Blodgett

Post by Dana Blodgett »

I’m not a guru but…Go for it, do what you want! I have A ‘73 SB and had two knee levers added to give me 3&4 Emmons set up E’s on the left 1&7 raise and 2&9 lower on right.
I’d be very hesitant to alter any of my other 6 strings though.
Dana Blodgett
From Los Osos,Ca.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Wayne Brown

steel guitar parts

Post by Wayne Brown »

PM sent
Thanks
wayne
Owner Out West Seats,Cases
www.outwestcountry.ca
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

I would sell it as is.

Not because adding parts will detract from the originality since like you I don't believe that is much of a factor in pedal steels. By the time you come up with the right parts and go to the trouble of nicely installing them you might be lucky to recover that investment.

Now if you just want to upgrade it because you enjoy messing with it that's something else entirely!

Thanks for all you do for the PSG community.
Brett Hansen

Post by Brett Hansen »

If you find a source for parts please let me know. I have a 78 Pro II I want to add rkr and lkr but can't find the parts. I called the usual go to people.
Barry Coker

Post by Barry Coker »

These might be something you could use.

Barry
Zum-D-10, Webb 614-E, 65 Pro Reverb, Evans RE200, 69 Gibson Birdland, 89 Telecaster EAD Bad!!
Paul Wade

Parts

Post by Paul Wade »

Barry is your man for parts. Does great work

P.w
Barry Coker

Post by Barry Coker »

Thanks Paul
Zum-D-10, Webb 614-E, 65 Pro Reverb, Evans RE200, 69 Gibson Birdland, 89 Telecaster EAD Bad!!
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

What Doug said.
Rick Kornacker

"Go for it!

Post by Rick Kornacker »

Hey T.C! Saw your post...thought I'd say hey. Sounds as if you have a dilemma of originality vs. practicality. The guitar is good to go as she is original and a nice specimen. Adding the two knees using original styled parts will just make it "mo better"! I'm sure some Pro 1's were ordered with extras from the factory. I had a Pro 1(same walnut finish). It was my first real pro guitar after my " toy steel", a Maverick(haha!). It was enough to get me hooked and led to you becoming a good friend over the years. I ordered two knee lever kits from Duane and I installed them myself at Bobill Music before moving to Nashville. Hope you have been well. Regards,RK😉
"think MORE...play LESS"
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Hi T.C. -

"Do it"

After also starting on a "Maverick," I ordered my first 'real' steel in 1977 through George "Spibb" Woodard in Springfield, IL.
It was a red "Sho-Bud Pro 1" & arrived with two knees on its right leg, just as the one you have pictured.

"Spibb" added two more Sho-Bud knee levers and also reconfigured the Pro-1's knee lever set-up to a standard Emmons 3 + 4 set-up.

Then in 1979, I traded it back into Spibb for my first Emmons D10 PP .....Rosewood ('gotta be like Buddy') which I still have.

And the rest is history.......

Take best care TC -

Ron
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

I dunno,, If I were in your position, I would sell as is... Yes, you will get more with 4 levers, but not sure its worth the hassle.. I think its a break even either way.. Take a little less and sell as is, or pay for the levers and pull parts and get a little more.. Its not usually worth spending money to increase value on many things I have found. In my experience, you basically get just enough more to cover what you spent "increasing the value"..bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Sell as is. This is a late 70's early 80's Sho Bud, probably 4th or 5th generation. Parts are available for those who may want to add a lever or two. Let them do it !

Should you decide to do it, adding levers to this instrument would be an upgrade and would not upset the Apple Cart !

Best

tp
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Yup. Pedal steel guitars are generally viewed as instruments you'll be using onstage and in studio to make music and earn money with.

Six-strings are generally viewed as instruments that look like the ones Dad (or Grand-Dad) used onstage and in studio "back in the day" to make music and earn money with. ;-)