A Tribute to a Craftsman

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Sam Lewis

A Tribute to a Craftsman

Post by Sam Lewis »

Some time ago I bought a D-10 just to have something to tinker with, thinking to do a restoration. The guitar does not have a "brand" name but the name Bowman is on the fret board. I assume that the guitar was built by the great steel player, Bobby Bowman. After cleaning and tuning it up I played it a few hours. Well, the tone was good and the pedals and levers worked as they should, but that isn't why I am writing. The construction of the guitar is outstanding. In my 70+ years of playing the different steel's I have owned, I have never seen one that (IMO) was built with such loving care as this guitar
Joe Krumel

Post by Joe Krumel »

When a craftsman builds a project you just can't hide it. I'll bet it's a beauty!
Sam Lewis

Craftsmanship

Post by Sam Lewis »

Yes, Joe, you are absolutely right. I did not know Mr. Bowman, but from what I can gather, and from what some have said on the forum, he was a master of the pedal steel guitar. After having spent several good hours with the one have, I believe he earned the right to be call "Doctor"

Only one problem, it is too heavy for this 93 year old to carry very far. However, it does have legs so maybe I can teach it to walk.
Joe Krumel

Post by Joe Krumel »

Good idea! I owned an old Sho Bud double neck that needed to learn how to walk! Too heavy for this old guy .
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

It is a joy to work on something that was built by a craftsman. There is no improvements you can make, Just replace worn or broken parts, Make an adjustment or two and it is back original.
Sam Lewis

Craftsman

Post by Sam Lewis »

Bobby, you sure hit the nail on the head - It's beginning to get boring when all have to do is polish, polish and more polish. I love it.
Mitch Ellis

Post by Mitch Ellis »

Bobby D. Jones wrote:It is a joy to work on something that was built by a craftsman.
That statement makes me think of my Zum. I've never seen a Bowman steel but would sure like to. Mr. Sam, Would you happen to have some photos that you could show us?

Mitch
Sam Lewis

Pictures

Post by Sam Lewis »

Sam Lewis

Bowman guitar.

Post by Sam Lewis »

Well, I've played the guitar for a few weeks and I can say for sure that I have never played a better one. Someday soon I hope to shake Mr. Bowman's hand and thank him. There just might be some room in the Glory Bound train baggage car that I can take it with me