J. D. Walters

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Terry Wood

J. D. Walters

Post by Terry Wood »

Just got the word that J. D. Walters passed away last night. This is really hard for me. He was such a Great Guy and a Great Steel Guitarist. He came and played two of my Steel Guitar Shows. J.D. played 7 years for Country artist Freddy Hart. He was Billie Jo Spears Steel Guitarist 2 years. When I met him he was Hank Thompson's Steel Guitarist. He played something like 11 years for Hank Thompson. He was Hank Thompson's last main Steel Guitarist! RIP J. D. Walters. Love you Brother!
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

Thanks for the info Terry, JD was one of my favorite players! I love the instrumental lp he did with the Freddy Hart band back in the 70s. Great commerical e9 player
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

JD was an excellent C6 player and western swing musician. Loved his smooth style and swing licks. I was a fan of Hank Thompson and JD added the icing to the cake. RIP JD. My prayers for family and friends.
john buffington

Post by john buffington »

We were all sadden to hear of JD's passing during the OSGA Show Saturday morning. Thoughts and prayers for the Walters Family for such a tremendous loss.
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

I just read this news about J.D.'s passing. I'm sorry to hear of this. We did some shows with Freddie Hart in the late 70s / early 80s. J.D. was such a nice person and great player.

I remember a show in Chicago in 1980 I believe... J.D. had just received a new Randall Steelman 500 amp. He let me try it during sound-check. I didn't have enough time to dial it in so I used my Evans for our part of the show but it sounded great with J.D. playing his Clark guitar through it.

My prayers and deepest sympathies go out for J.D.'s family and friends. He was a great guy and player.
Tommy Cass

Post by Tommy Cass »

So sorry to hear about JD's passing. He was a true gentlemen
and a great musician. JD invited me to stay in house, in Nashville, while I found work in Nashville. He was a true friend and humble man, who visited often and wowed me with his playing. My prayers are with the Walters family.
Danny Sherbon

Jd

Post by Danny Sherbon »

I was so lucky to play a few shows with JD and he was so much a gentleman. I played steel in the band just before his group. He was always on the front row encouraging me. RIP my friend.
MSA Millennium D10, Justice SD 10 Patriot, Rittenberry Prestige,
Tonic,Quilter Mach 3, Nashville 112, Telonics and Hilton Pedal, MPX-1, Pro-Fex
Jim McGinnis

Post by Jim McGinnis »

There is to be a Memorial Service on August 5th at Kingdom Hall in Bigsby Oklahoma at 3:00pm. JD was a Jehovahs Witness.
Jim McGinnis
John Davis

Post by John Davis »

So sorry to hear this he will always be one of my favourite players I play his CD's all the time so tastfull Rest in peace my friend.
Michael Weaver

Post by Michael Weaver »

I did a quick search on youtube and found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ja_8IlNM_4