In Search Of Steel Guitar Repair In Southeast Texas

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chase Curtis

In Search Of Steel Guitar Repair In Southeast Texas

Post by Chase Curtis »

Hi guys. Just bought a used GFI Ultra. It’s an older guitar that has a very strange codependent. For example the pedals are setup day setup and I prefer emmons but can live with either. However the C pedal only raises E to F instead of F#. Also the lever that normally would lower D# to D-C# actually raises D# to F#. I want to change this guitar to a standard emmons setup as I’m a beginner and still trying to learn. I am looking for whoever is closest to me to have this guitar converted. I live in Beaumont Texas but am willing to travel if necessary
David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

Guys,
I got to meet Chase and he’s a really nice young motivated future steel player. That’s what it’s all about! Getting younger players to carry on the passion for pedal steel. The GFI S-10 he has is an early edition rather than an Ultra model. But those have a unique tone and sustain. I’m not sure what the goal was with the setup that was on the GFI from the gentleman who sold it to Chase, but it’s something I’ve never encountered.

At any rate, it’s set up properly now and Chase is able to enjoy his GFI as it was meant to be. Still one of the finest steels made and my preferred brand for many years!

Welcome to the world of steel, Chase!

Dave 🙂
Gil James

Post by Gil James »

Good on you David, for steppin up to help out this young man. I'm sure he will eventually pay it forward himself when the time comes. Thanks again for meeting me halfway on that speaker deal, which sounds great by the way , with my GFI and Quilter.
David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

Hey Gil,
I hope all is going well for you. Thanks for the kind words! Glad that speaker is working out well for you.

Dave 🙂
Paul Redmond

Post by Paul Redmond »

Check with Michael Small in Austin. He goes by "Memphislim" on the Forum.
PRR