My Fears Starting Pedal Steel at age 68

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill McCloskey

My Fears Starting Pedal Steel at age 68

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Here is a little video I put together talking about my top fears learning to play Pedal Steel at age 68. Hope you enjoy.

https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

If the legs or knees get tired and sore due to "pedal pushing", as Jerry Byrd called pedal steel (pedal pushers). and you are rarin' to go with some steel, there is tons to practice without using the pedals and knee levers. Intonation, vibrato, etc.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

I learned it at 63...did 10 hours per day for 100 days and then got on stage with my alt-country band...played for 6 years, then, like Jerry Garcia, decided it was too hard for the lifetime I have left...gave up for 6 years and just played lap steel/dobro.

BUT....just bought my same old pedal steel back and started up again, and couldn't be happier!

FYI:
Jerry Garcia, interviewed by Bonnie Simmons on KSAN January 23, 1976:
Simmons: A listener asked] whether you plan to do a lot more steel work.

Garcia: I don’t think so. The instrument is too difficult for me, frankly. I’d have to play it an awful lot, and I’d need about ten years to get to where I would want to be in relation to some control over it -

Simmons: Do you still practice at all?

Garcia: No. You can’t really practice it; it’s too hard. I can only play it, y’know.
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Thanks for the nice comment on my channel Steve. I appreciate it.
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

I enjoyed your clip! Now we have to find something to sell to each other again...we used to do that with some regularity...
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

LOL. I do that with HowardR now.
Paul Seager

Post by Paul Seager »

Steve Lipsey wrote:I learned it at 63...did 10 hours per day for 100 days and then got on stage with my alt-country band...played for 6 years, ...
Bill and Steve, you just became my role models! I am 61 and after a 2 yr on / off relationship with my PSG, I vowed to start again last January. I take clear breaks from it when I have a gig coming on lap steel but it is my intention to get to a "small town in Germany country band" level (quite a low bar!) within a few years!

My pedal steel is modern, from WBS, a German workshop and there does not seem to be any mechanical challenges (yet!). It is very easy to maintain, just a drop of oil now and again.

I am fortunate that I have no disabilities. I cycle a lot and jog occasionally and perhaps this helps avoid leg / ankle joint aches from using pedals. However, sitting to play makes my back ache - I play my Rickenbacker console standing, even for practice so PSG is annoying in that sense.

I can definitely relate to not having a hot PSG scene on my doorstop. There is a country music club about 25 miles from me and this year I have seen Sarah Jory (with a European cover band) and Don Pawlak with (Dale Watson), valuable moments to savour!

I also bought a stack of self-learn books but have not found a book that met my entry point and needs. Like you, I bought Paul Franklin's introduction course and knowing I only have a year, I've been pacing myself to that timeline. It's worth every cent!

I love learning PSG. I recently broke down a Ralph Moody intro by ear and felt a huge sense of achievement just learning 8 bars of music!

So yeah, age is no barrier if one sets realistic goals.
Scott Spanbauer

Post by Scott Spanbauer »

At 63, my main physical issue with PS is all the sitting. I'm really glad to get up and play some guitar or baritone once or twice in a set.
Carter D10, Emmons GS10, T8 Stringmaster, 50s Fender Deluxe
johnnyblueheart.com
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Thanks for the kind words Paul and you are exactly the person I did the video for. So far, it is my most popular video yet.
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

Never stop learning. Good for the soul mind and body.
Phil Kennelty

Post by Phil Kennelty »

I'm just starting Pedal Steel for the first time at 71. (Still can't believe I'm that old.) Not so sure how well I'll do. Don't think I can devote 10 hours a day to it. Trying to learn Jazz Piano at the same time.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Personally, I am finding the transition to a Rickenbacker 12-string guitar in my early seventies far more intimidating than learning to play pedal steel in my mid-twenties.

Both are instruments that are unique to themselves in that if you wanna get that sound, you've gotta play that instrument. You can imitate them on other instruments, but it's not quite the same. To paraphrase the late Marvin Gaye, ain't nothin' like the real thing, bay-be.
Michael Rogge

Post by Michael Rogge »

Phil Kennelty wrote:I'm just starting Pedal Steel for the first time at 71. (Still can't believe I'm that old.) Not so sure how well I'll do. Don't think I can devote 10 hours a day to it. Trying to learn Jazz Piano at the same time.
I beat you to it by a year…I was 70 when I started…71 soon….Mike
Bass player in TripleTrebleband and Crossman Country.
Samuel Phillippe

Post by Samuel Phillippe »

Michael Rogge wrote:
Phil Kennelty wrote:I'm just starting Pedal Steel for the first time at 71. (Still can't believe I'm that old.) Not so sure how well I'll do. Don't think I can devote 10 hours a day to it. Trying to learn Jazz Piano at the same time.
I beat you to it by a year…I was 70 when I started…71 soon….Mike

I was 82 when I got my first ( and only) psg. ......try to play everyday for a few hours, not gigin with it but play it for my amusment. too chicken to embarass myself in front of people who don't know what it is.

Sam
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Great video post Bill! I just started learning PSG last December, and my odometer will roll over to 68 this week- so I’m in the same boat. Great to hear your experiences and others too. I’ve been playing guitar, slide, and harmonica since I was kid, and wanted to try pedal steel off and on for years. Finally decided to take the plunge. Like everyone here, I’m glad I did! Thanks for the inspiring post!
52 Fender Dual 8, Jackson Pro V, other guitars and amps. Learning pedal steel. Long time player on slide, guitar, harmonica
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Thanks for the video Bill - great job, and very encouraging!
Mark
Larry Allen

Post by Larry Allen »

Never too late to play!! But…at 79 cannot pack up, set up, tear down and get home..those days are over! :eek:
Excel steels & Peavey amps,Old Chevys & Motorcycles & Women on the Trashy Side