? for amp techs...

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Hinson

? for amp techs...

Post by Steve Hinson »

...So I got an amp here with"twist-lock"filter caps in it, which have a ring on the top of the cap with four posts that are "negative"...

...and a post in the middle top of the cap that is"positive"...

This amp is 40+ years old-I'm leery of turning it on without changing the filter caps...

I can't find any"twist-lock"filter caps...can I use"screw-type"filter caps?

Would I connect the wires soldered to the ring to the"negative" posts of their respective caps, and same with the"positive"?

I've never seen these type caps before-I'm not a tech, but I've recapped many amps...
I'd rather not blow this amp up...

TIA
SH
Scott Swartz

Post by Scott Swartz »

Are you referring to these?

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/c ... 30c112a746

May have to combine some sections to match what you have but should be able to figure out something.
Scott Swartz
Steeltronics - Steel Guitar Pickups
www.steeltronics.com
Steve Hinson

...well...

Post by Steve Hinson »

Scott Swartz wrote:Are you referring to these?

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/c ... 30c112a746

May have to combine some sections to match what you have but should be able to figure out something.
Actually,those are all"multi-stage"capacitors...the ones I want to replace are"single-stage"...4000uf at 60vdc...they are no longer made...I have the single stage caps, but they have different terminals on them...2 terminals,as compared to 5 on the originals.
Just trying to figure out how to wire them up...

Thanks
SH
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

As long as you meet the electrical spec, I guess you could use any can that will fit!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144944022993?e ... R6yr1uGsYg
Scott Swartz

Post by Scott Swartz »

The screw type caps (obviously this one is a different value) as in this pic will work fine and they make the clamp to hold them as shown, you would just drill 2 small holes for the clamp, and then make up 2 wire plus eyelet terminals to mount to the screws on the cap.

Scott Swartz
www.steeltronics.com
Raybob Bowman

Post by Raybob Bowman »

Power it up on a Variac slowly bringing up voltage to 120 will reform old caps.
Sierra U12 4+5 / 1933 Dobro / homemade Tele B-bender
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Scott Swartz wrote:The screw type caps (obviously this one is a different value) as in this pic will work fine and they make the clamp to hold them as shown, you would just drill 2 small holes for the clamp, and then make up 2 wire plus eyelet terminals to mount to the screws on the cap.

One of the caps has 3 wires running to it and the other has 5...do I run the"positive"wires to the"+"posts on the screw cap, and the"negative"wires to the"-"post?I figured I could to this with ring terminals.Also,I'm going to have to mount the new ones under the chassis because they won't fit in the holes where the old ones are mounted.
Scott Swartz

Post by Scott Swartz »

Yes Steve that would be correct, the outer can on twist locks is the same as the negative terminal on a screw. See the pic with the added white line.

Scott Swartz
www.steeltronics.com
Scott Swartz

Post by Scott Swartz »

Yes Steve that would be correct, the outer can on twist locks is the same as the negative terminal on a screw. See the pic with the added white line.

Scott Swartz
www.steeltronics.com
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Scott Swartz wrote:Yes Steve that would be correct, the outer can on twist locks is the same as the negative terminal on a screw. See the pic with the added white line.

Cool-all I gotta do now is find some horizontal cap clamps-the caps I have won't fit in the chassis holes, so I'm gonna have to mount them underneath and run wires up to the wires inside the chassis-good times!

Thanks,Scott!

SH