Acoustic through a Nashville 400

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Don Griffiths

Acoustic through a Nashville 400

Post by Don Griffiths »

Has anyone tried using an Acoustic or Archtop six string through a Nashville 400? I have a 400 but not with me and I’ve been seeing some deals on acoustic specific amps. Just wondering? I know My Twin sounds a little harsh plugged in direct from the acoustic.
Shobud Pro1,BMI U12, Santa Cruz F, PRS Standard, Fender Twin Reverb, ‘53 000-28
Karl Paulsen

Post by Karl Paulsen »

It's probably not bad, probably ok with a nice preamp in between amp and acoustic.

However, dedicated acoustic amps have gotten so good recently that I think it's worth going that way. My guitarist picked up one of the current small Fishman amps. It is really light, sounds fantastic and is surprisingly loud.
Nickel and Steel. Sad Songs and Steel Guitar.
https://www.facebook.com/NickelandSteel

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/
Jeff Highland

Post by Jeff Highland »

Main issue for acoustic through a regular amp is lack of tweeter to get the highs
Duesenberg Fairytale
1949 Supro Supreme
1950 National New Yorker
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

The guitarist in my current band plays a nice old guitar through a smallish Marshall amp. Sorry to be so vague about what models they are but he's a fine player who's been doing it for years and he sounds great.

It strikes me that a guitar and amp is a combination rather than two independent items, and he has cultivated them together.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Not being an acoustic purest I am a major tone hound. Never satisfied with a good enough sound has taken me through the gambit of multiple amp purchases and preamp combinations. The improvement in acoustic designed amplifiers is incredible. I have Roland AC60, AC90, Shertler Jam 100, Crate CA125, Fender Acoustasonic and now the newest Fender Acoustic Junior 100. Each amp offers better tone, effects and connections that are missing from a guitar amp alone. The speaker and cabinet is designed for tone and projection with DI out for PA and a second channel for microphone or another instrument. My preamp group includes Baggs DI, Baggs Venue, Fishman Aura Spectrum and Palmer Direct. All that said you may be happy with your acoustic intro the Nashville 400. But you will be miles ahead if you try a dedicated acoustic guitar amplifier. I know I am. And I have the carnage to show for my journey chasing better sound.
Don Griffiths

Post by Don Griffiths »

Thank you Larry Deering and every one who responded. Yes, I’m aware that nothing beats a Shure SM57 through the PA. It’s hard to beat a Baggs DI for price and reliability. What was I thinking? This scenario of having to spontaneously play through the 400 in a pinch I suppose.
Shobud Pro1,BMI U12, Santa Cruz F, PRS Standard, Fender Twin Reverb, ‘53 000-28