Post by Paul Wade »

great picking by mike. does anyone know what gear he is using

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O41WU24AqAM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teOLXKBPjTI

p.w
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

such a fantastic player

1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Mike Smith is, in my opinion, one of the true greats of our instrument.

It could be argued that he's adopted a low-profile approach to his life and career and, therefore, we don't hear about his very much.

I still play his old 'Dreams of India' album (I LOVE those two new tracks he added in the 2002 CD rerelease - Creek Walk and Sunny T!!!) but it sounds like he's playing better than ever in these two video clips.

Mike T Smith:
How about a new studio album, please?
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Roger Rettig wrote:Mike Smith is, in my opinion, one of the true greats of our instrument..................
I agree 100% Roger. I had a live vinyl recording of Larry Gatlin & Brothers with Mike in the backing band. They played a really, really fast number, and Mike played an incredibly scorching hot solo. I can't remember the track name or even the album name, but he is a monster player for sure. He's also a very nice guy. I communicated with him once and I was impressed with the way that he conducts himself.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Ken:

Mike doesn't know me from Adam but he responded to my emails a couple of times in a courteous and helpful manner.

(I must add the the same is true about my other 'living hero', Gary Carter; he's been more than communicative on a several points.)

There seems to have been a clique of 'new' players in the '70s/early-'80s who were in a league of their own: Paul Franklin, of course, Gary Carter, Tommy White, who brought a new level to the way steel was being played. Mike Smith was one of this elite bunch.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Bruce Zumsteg

Post by Bruce Zumsteg »

Mike is truly one of the masters of our instrument, and certainly doesn't get the credit he deserves. He made a smart move when he relocated from Gnashville to Phoenix, and for many years has had as much work as he wants. We have been friends since 1977, when he took a chance on an unknown steel guitar brand, and has remained there for 46 years. I'm very grateful for that.

Everyone here should order Mike's and his wife's CD, "Mike and T. Cafe' . It is a top shelf production, with some great playing by Mike, and T's superb vocals.
Paul Wade

Mike G

Post by Paul Wade »

Bruce
Thanks for your great insight and
Info.he sure does good on that Zum D_10
P.w
Paul Wade

Post by Paul Wade »

TTT
Joe Krumel

Post by Joe Krumel »

Mike is one of the greats or better yet,"Maestros"of this machine we all love. What a monster!
Paul Wade

mike g smith

Post by Paul Wade »

Bruce Blackburn

Post by Bruce Blackburn »

When a “Master” weighs in on a “Master” it deserves serious consideration. Do yourself a favor and check out Mike’s playing. If you don’t know his music, be prepared to be astounded that he doesn’t get the kudos that he deserves.
Rittenberry Prestige D10, Dekley S14U, (stolen) ZumSteel D10
(2) Nashville 112's Nashville 1000, Profex II Kemper Profiler Powered, Quilter Tone Block 202, Benado Steel Dream
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Here's a cracking piece from Mike called Creek Walk. Blisteringly fast in places, yet as smooth as it gets. Great skill and technique with both hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX7qxoPlZsI
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Here is a slow gospel song featuring Mike's wife Teriney on vocals and she has a very special voice as indicated by Bruce Z above. Mike is one of those rare multi talented people who can play lots of various instruments, and very well I might add.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ShFvfxuLbU
Steven Hicken Jr.

Post by Steven Hicken Jr. »

Ken Byng wrote:Here's a cracking piece from Mike called Creek Walk. Blisteringly fast in places, yet as smooth as it gets. Great skill and technique with both hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX7qxoPlZsI
Brilliant stuff!
25 year old wannabe.
2015 Show Pro
2020 Hudson Hudsonator (Pedabro)
202X *Insert new guitar here*

https://www.stevenhickenjr.com/