Mullen Discovery & GFI Expo price difference

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Kirk Adolph

Mullen Discovery & GFI Expo price difference

Post by Kirk Adolph »

Hi there,

I’m a 6 string guitar player and have been wanting to start learning how to play pedal steel for quite a while now. I think I’m finally ready to buy one.

I’ve been doing a lot of research (and reading this forum!) and have decided that I want to skip the entry-level stuff and invest in a quality, pro-level guitar that I can grow into. Hoping to stay within $2000-$3000 though and just wanting something pretty standard (S-10, 3 pedals, 4 levers, etc.)

After looking into guitars in that range, I think I’ve got it narrowed down to a Mullen Discovery or a GFI Expo. Seems like those are two solid options made by great companies and well liked by a lot of players. Being lightweight and easy to travel with is also a plus for me.

What I’m curious about is the price difference. From what I'm seeing the Expo is quite a bit more expensive than the Discovery, almost $1000 more in some places. I’m obviously new to all of this and haven’t played either of them, but from what I can tell they seem like they’re pretty comparable guitars that occupy a similar position in the market.

So I guess my question is; is the Expo that much better than the Discovery? And are there many distinctions between the two that might account for the price difference? I’m sure a lot of it is personal preference and that I would be happy with either, just trying to make sure I’m not missing something that’s worth spending the few extra bucks for.

Thanks in advance -Kirk
Last edited by Kirk Adolph on 13 Jul 2023 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

It's a fair question and I regret that I can't help you, not being at all familiar with the GFI. I just jumped in to say that I had a Discovery here in my shop for a while, adding a lever and a split tuning end piece for the owner and I was SO impressed with it. I'd also had two of his Mullen G2's here several times so I'm fairly familiar with them and I was surprised and delighted with how much they had in common. Not a lot of compromise in the Discovery.
Unfortunately this client and good friend died. It fell upon me to sell his guitars. I am a 12 string player, exclusively. Otherwise I would have bought the Discovery in a heartbeat.
I am a fan.

I hope you can get a good answer regarding comparisons between the Expo and the Discovery.
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

I won't talk down on the GFI, as I have never played one, but there is a lot of them out there.

I have been a Mullen player since 2009, and I will say that they are a great guitar, and the factory help is there to do anything they can to make you happy. (my 2 cents)
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Well, here's one opinion...buy whichever one comes up first in the "For Sale" section...or another "For Sale" one...I'm guessing that the one you get will be the one your want after you learn and have lived with it for a while is somewhat risky...if you buy used, you can sell for the same price you paid, so it only costs you the shipping cost to try a few different models....

Ask here on the forum, if you like, what the average number of steels is that people have gone through...you'll be surprised (perhaps shocked). They really aren't all the same...and we change as we learn and get used to what we've got..

As an example for you, I bought a Rains, because it was available when I needed one for the band I was in and I knew nothing...hated it, heavy, no sustain...then went to GFI, fine except the pickups were junk back then, not sure about now..replaced the pickup, but I didn't bond with it, not sure why. Then Williams, and loved it, but wanted an S10, not the SD10 I'd gotten...then wanted keyless tuners, which are great for lots of reasons...and oh yeah, for each of those I probably had 2 of them so I could leave one at the practice space...you get the idea...I'm finally now playing the perfect one...but I didn't know that when I sold it 7 years ago...I just bought it back from that guy....almost all of these were used ones, except for the last two Williams S10s....

And you don't want to wait months for a new one to be built at this point...do that when you really know how to play and know what you want...for now, getting it sooner is the most important thing...so you can start playing!!
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Mike DiAlesandro

Post by Mike DiAlesandro »

Kirk, here is a link to a demo of a late model Expo w/ stainless changer fingers. It should help you get a good view on what the Expo offers and you can hear the tone of the guitar as well.

Hope this helps 👍

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyMT3_ph5o
Jon Voth

Post by Jon Voth »

I'm relatively new at it still, I've had an Expo for around 5 years and recently got a G2 (but have not played a Discovery).

My GFI plays and sounds great, stays in tune very well, and less cabinet drop than my Mullen (which isn't a big deal either).

But the pedals on my Mullen G2 are much smoother, lighter, easier. And I like the tone of it-maybe it's the pickups-that's a personal preference thing. I would think those aspects are true for a Discovery as well? You can also have it made available with splits which I enjoy and don't think you can get that on an Expo.

So I would go for the Mullen Discovery. Can't go wrong either way.
Norbert Dengler

Post by Norbert Dengler »

you can`t go wron with either one. I once owned an S 10 Expo, just as good as my Ultra.
Customer Support on GFI is legendary, but also great on Mullen as everybody says.
I would consider the Mullen a bit more of a traditionell design, never played one but i`m sure they`re top notch.
Good luck with either one!
Richard Alderson

Post by Richard Alderson »

Dear Kirk - The reason for the price difference is that the Discovery is priced to sell to the first time buyer student and beginner market and the Expo is marketed among pro-level guitars. However the Discovery is probably a better deal, and I am a two time GFI owner. The Discovery has all the essential working and music making components of the regular pro Mullen, but it does not have some of the finishing touches, for example the pedal bar is a budget version and the surface finish on the legs, and I believe on the end plates is not a highly buffed mirror image, stuff like that has been scaled back to reduce the price. Otherwise its 100% a pro level Mullen, and highly recommended.
Derby SD-10 5x6; GFI S-10 5x5; GFI S-10 5x5; Zum D-10 8x7; Zum D-10 9x9; Fender 400; Fender Rumble 200; Nashville 400; Telonics TCA-500.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I have owned both a GFI Expo S-10 and a GFI Ultra SD-10. The changer and underneath mechanics are 99% identical. The primary difference is in the body construction. I wanted a "keyless" model and the prime reason I now have an Ultra model.

GFI makes an "entry level" student model but my choice starting out would be the Expo, as it is basically a lower cost pro model (Ralph Mooney played an Expo).

I played a Franklin for 38 years (considered the Rolls Royce by many) but my choice now is GFI.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I own a 94 Mullen D10 8x4 purchased new and it's been a trouble free smooth player without any problems. But in 2022 I wanted a single neck SD10 3x5 and bought a new GFI Ultra here in my home state of Missouri. It's also a smooth fine player, and I believe they have a lifetime warranty.
Jim Bloomfield

Post by Jim Bloomfield »

I have played both and own a Discovery. There really is no comparison, I feel the Mullen comes out on top in every way. I don’t know the reason for such a price difference.
Kirk Adolph

Post by Kirk Adolph »

Thanks for the responses everyone! This has been super helpful. The Expo sounds like a great instrument but it really does seem hard to beat the Discovery for the price.
Karol Wainscott

Post by Karol Wainscott »

I have played both and owned a sd-10 Ultra . My biggest finding difference was the ultra was a much better finished cabinet . The Discovery had jagged edges and corners didnt match up , just a much cheaper build . Both played well .
Jerry Malvern

Post by Jerry Malvern »

Take a look at Justice guitars. A grand less than the discovery. And Ron is in Arizona, should it ever need work.