ZB Pedal Steel Guitars - Please help!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Thanks Kevin. That's just what I wanted to know. Have a beautiful evening.
Duncan
Brett Anderson

Post by Brett Anderson »

Just a couple of things guys. Mickey and Ed Black were playing in bands together in high school, so any info about Ed that you guys might wanna know Mickey would know. And secondly, I just purchased a late sixties ZB Custom custom from Doug Haywood. It's got 5 pedals and 1 knee lever. I believe its Maroon in color and I believe it to be in mint condition. I will post pics as soon as I receive the guitar. Needless to say I'm excited as all get out.
Mickey McGee

Post by Mickey McGee »

Russ,thanks for the thread link! WOW! Goes to show what time does to the brain-I remembered ED's guitar being all blue but it was blue&maple NOW that seems correct.BTW,congrats Brett- now Doug Haywood has gas money to get him to Nashville-he had given up on the PSG anyway.

------------------
Brett Anderson

Post by Brett Anderson »

Larry, Just received my ZB Custom. #0495 original owner was Joey Dale. The guitar has 5 pedals and 1 knee lever. I bought the guitar from Doug Haywood in Colorado, whom it was left to when Mr. Dale passed. Any idea the year on this guitar or any info at all? Brett
Brett Anderson

Post by Brett Anderson »

This guitar is a s10. It's been under a bed for a few years and is in real nice shape. After reading this entire thread tonight I think its a 73 or 74. Not sure the color. Its like cherryish with a blondeish plank that the neck rests on. The neck is the cherryish color also. It also has horns. # 0495.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Brett that sounds about right on the serial number. If you need help email me.
Mickey McGee

Post by Mickey McGee »

I had a chance at getting a look at this ZB custom S-10 today and I must say the guitar looks to be in very good cond.for its age-its a burgundy color that has faded to a cherry color-just looks great!It will take some work to put this old axe in playing cond.maybe some of you guys will give Brett some help in this area-has a loose rod and the rods are round-no rust,some dings but real nice-makes me want one! Mickey.
Brett Anderson

Post by Brett Anderson »

Sounds pretty good with a new set of Jagwires on it too!
Brett Anderson

Post by Brett Anderson »

up
Curt Jarvis

Post by Curt Jarvis »

I have a question about exstending the pedal rods on my older ZB Custom. The rods are 3 peices, long rod, barrow joiner, and a 3 inch peice that is couter threaded on one end and a machine drilled hole on the other. Is there somebody out there that has parts for this project or would you advise funding a machine shop?
Brian Herder

Post by Brian Herder »

An 80s clip of Emmylou Harris with Albert Lee sitting in...or vise versa. Who's playing the ZB? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCpOwecljoI&search=albert%20lee%20
Bob Tuttle

Post by Bob Tuttle »

It looks like a young Al Perkins.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

That's not Al.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

I'm not sure who it is but didn't you grow up with AL, Bob?

Russ
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Sure looks like Al's ZB, though, I'm with Kevin, that doesn't look like Al. I think I saw Emmylou around this time, judging by her hair, but can't remember the steel guitarist she had, but her guitarist, Frank Reckard, was incredible. I'm not sure if this helps...I'm not really sure any of my posts help anything, but y'all have a beautiful evening anyway.
Duncan
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Definitely not Al.
Brian Herder

Post by Brian Herder »

It's not Al, Steve Fishell or Hank Devito...It looks to have been taped a little after the last Hot Band era, so I figure that since it's from England, it's probably one of the UK's ZB guys.
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

Maybe Gordon Huntley ? One of our English forum members could tell us .
Allan Todd

Post by Allan Todd »

The steel player with Albert and Emmy is definately Gerry Hogan of Hogans Heroes headed by Albert Lee.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

He was a ZB dealer in England in the seventies and sold many.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Any of you ZB players leave your roller nuts unlubricated? I've been oiling them in the past but after cleaning and polishing the roller shaft, I'm having good luck with not lubricating, although that darn E still returns sharp after lowering!

Dave Z<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dave Zirbel on 06 July 2006 at 04:37 AM.]</p></FONT>
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

I have the same problem Dave. If we wait a
ZB guru will come to our rescue.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

The trick is in the return spring. Back off the return spring until the string starts reurning flat, not sharp. Use a meter. You really have to back it off. Then turn the return screw in half turns until the string just returns true.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I'll try it tonight Kevin. Do you oil the roller nuts?
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

You MUST oil the roller nuts on a ZB. Use 3&1. In fact, I also remove the roller nut axle once a year and polish it to a mirror finish. Roller nut hang up is classic on old ZB's. Also, sanding the changer caps smooth once a year and polishing them greatly helps sustain.