Should I include a power strip in my new pack-a-seat?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Farrell

Should I include a power strip in my new pack-a-seat?

Post by David Farrell »

Hi friends & steelers!

I'm going to purchase a new pack seat with backrest & no side car.

I'm wondering if I should include the power strip on the side.

What do ya'll recommend please?

Thanks, Dave
Dave

Fender pedal steels, amps & guitars. '73 Sho~Bud PRO 1 CUSTOM. Emmons ReSound'65 S-10 4x5.
Mike Kowalik

Post by Mike Kowalik »

What would you power up from your pak seat?
Larry Allen

Power strip

Post by Larry Allen »

I got rid of mine, cleaned up my space.. :D
Excel steels & Peavey amps,Old Chevys & Motorcycles & Women on the Trashy Side
David Farrell

Post by David Farrell »

Mike Kowalik wrote:What would you power up from your pak seat?

Mike,

I really just 'need' to power my amp. I may 'want' to plug in a couple extra things.

Thanks, Dave
Dave

Fender pedal steels, amps & guitars. '73 Sho~Bud PRO 1 CUSTOM. Emmons ReSound'65 S-10 4x5.
Asa Brosius

Post by Asa Brosius »

I didn't think I'd use mine, and I'm really grateful for it at this point. In the studio, to easily power 'maybe' pedals for a take, onstage for VP, pedal board and effects that require more than a board's power supply, a safe place to charge a phone or anything else. Great for a pickup gig at a bar with limited stage outlets, and solves problems for bigger tours.
john buffington

Post by john buffington »

For me definitely, power strip and sidecar. Ken Rollans/Dan Rollans built 3 of mine with everything. Never looked back!
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Heated an cooled seat would be nice!
David Graves

Post by David Graves »

I couldn’t live without mine! I plug my “seat strip” in and then I have access to everything that needs power. My Hilton, pedal board, my Little Walter, my tuner when I discover I forgot to charge it, etc , etc etc. it’s right there with much fewer cables and cords running everywhere.
St. Blues 1984 "Holy Grail"
Take the time to introduce someone young to music... and play a few songs with someone old.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I would only do it if it was a surge protector power strip, and all I've seen on these seats were not.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I carry a ton of stuff in a very deep seat -- this evolved from too many instances of being in bands, setting up without enough extension cords, power strips, etc. I recently inherited/bought a small lightweight seat. It is pleasure to carry. It rules out carrying excess junk. First time I brought it to gig, half the stuff I carry in the other seat was needed.

Of course, it's my problem and my choice as to whether I want to be the utility hauler for the band and I'm still working that out. But for these reasons, a regular, unattached power strip is the most practical way for me. I only need two outlets or one, with multiplier. The rest would go to waste if they weren't accessible to bandmates.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I've had just two Steelers' Choice seats, both with the side-pocket (invaluable to me) and the back-rest.

The first had the power-strip but I found it impractical to use. I ended up removing it to save weight; like Jon, my seat has acquired an unimaginable number of 'permanent residents' and it still weighs a ton!

I tried to clear it out recently but ended up saying "No, better have that, just in case... (and that, and that, and that...") and I got nowhere.

I long since removed the dividers. They take up too much room, as neat as they may look.

What a fine product it is, though.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

Carry extension cords or powerstrips or hunt for a power strip or extension cord, OR just have it built into the seat. Built in was the route I took, and I'm glad I did. They are a small pain unraveling the cord from under the seat, but I don't really play outside of my Studio these days so it sits there with my Quilter 202 and VP, Benado, Black Box and under-desk light for recording. One flick of the switch and everything is on.

Like Roger, I've had WAY too much stuff in my Pack Seat, and as heavy as they can get, should maybe come with a Pack Mule to save ones back.
Last edited by Dale Rottacker on 25 Jun 2023 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Dale!!!!

You mean you didn't get the mule with the seat? Mine's been eating at my expense for 24 years!

You should have checked in the box. :)
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Bob Shilling

Post by Bob Shilling »

I have a Steeler's Choice with sidecar, back-rest and power-strip. I only play at home now, so I prefer to use an unattached power strip. Makes it easier when I have to move the seat around. When I did play out, I found it very useful, and so did other band members :D .

You didn't ask about the sidecar, and you aren't planning to get one, but I just have to add that I find it invaluable for both playing out, and playing at home.
Bob Shilling, Berkeley, CA--MSA S10, "Classic"
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

Yes. I have one that has a surge protection feature and two USB outlets. Very handy
Tim Harr

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89
memphislim

Post by memphislim »

NO!
David Farrell

Post by David Farrell »

memphislim wrote:NO!
I'm just curious, why the hard no?
Dave

memphislim

Post by memphislim »

It's totally pointless. Why marry the two together when you can make them separate and then move the power supply where ever you want it. Plus you're not tied that particular power supply. Buy a Furman strip and then put in a discrete location. Now you can move your seat around and not have to trip over wires. I also think it looks ridiculous to have stuff plugged into your seat. The stuff I plug in is nowhere near my seat. Perhaps a better question to ask is why have the power supply in the seat?
Larry Allen

Seat AC

Post by Larry Allen »

Agreed totally Memphis.. :eek:
Excel steels & Peavey amps,Old Chevys & Motorcycles & Women on the Trashy Side
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I have no desire to locate a plug in near my seat. As said above, use a Furman and move it out of harm's way.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

Yup-(as in hard yes). I've done it for 50 years and have never wanted for it to be different. I plug in the amp and power supplies (vocal harmonizer, B9 and Pitch Fork all on side of seat as well as power for the volume pedal). One power cord.
Duane Dunard

Post by Duane Dunard »

A hard yes! I hated carrying a long extension cord from my vehicle parking area to the stage and back, usually because it would mean an extra trip or more time invested. As I became older, I found the “load in/ load out” experience can sometimes be very challenging. Loading only the steel, amp, and pac-seat is easier.
Duane Dunard

Post by Duane Dunard »

Double post, sorry.
Last edited by Duane Dunard on 28 Jun 2023 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

If you can handle the extra weight and bulk, sure, you'll find the power strip handy.

In my case, it would be unnecessary and redundant since I carry a bag with all my possibles and backups in it so it's no big deal to toss in a power strip. Sometimes an extension cord may be necessary as well.

I used to have one with a Sidekick and power strip. I found it was just too much product for my needs plus the bulk and weight was excessive for me.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

What scares me about a power strip being hooked to the seat. Could it turn my seat into an Electric Chair, If lightning came in on power supply.

Lighting hit a power pole near a music show one evening, Near Philippi WV. Some music friends was playing at. No one got hurt, Some on stage players got shocked some. The lighting, Blew the PA system, And every Amp. that was plugged in on the stage.