Electronics

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Jennings

Electronics

Post by Bob Jennings »

I have a Yamaha Digital Drum machine. It does not have an input for a foot pedal to turn it on and off--only the button on the machine. I called the factory and asked them about this and they said it doesn't do the foot pedal.

Does anyone out there in Steel Guitar Land know and can tell me how I can do something to this machine so I can use a foot pedal?

I would appreciate any information.

Bob Jennings
Mike Auman

Post by Mike Auman »

Bob, do you have the model number, or a photo of the sticker on the back with that info? Yamaha made a lot of different types.
Long-time guitar player now working on lap steel.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I called the factory and asked them about this and they said it doesn't do the foot pedal.
I think it is safe to say that there is nothing you can do. Even if there was, you would probably have to do some electronic work, and then have to change it's software to recognize a foot pedal, which is probably not possible. Best bet is to buy a different drum machine. I spent the last 3 years in a band that used an Alesis drum machine. It had a double foot switch that would would change between 2 different "patterns, Worked great.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Bob Jennings

Electronics

Post by Bob Jennings »

Mike Auman,

It is a Yamaha Digital Rhythm Programmer RX 17

Bob Jennings
Mike Auman

Post by Mike Auman »

Bob, you can talk to the RX17 thru the MIDI jacks on the back, so you could send it a start or stop command that way from a MIDI controller. If you do, you'll also have to send the RX17 a MIDI clock sync from your controller, you can't have one without the other. If you want to do that, look for a MIDI controller that will send at least two commands along with generating a clock, here's a sample but there are others: https://www.disasterareadesigns.com/shop/p/dmc-3xl-gen3
The setting on the RX17 to receive MIDI commands and a clock would be MIDI Function Mode 5.1 (Sync), page 25 of the manual.
Long-time guitar player now working on lap steel.
Ken Jameson

Post by Ken Jameson »

You might try running the machine through a volume pedal,
I have done that a few times and it works for me.
sho bud double neck 8,carter starter rouge 6 string
Bob Jennings

Electronics

Post by Bob Jennings »

Mike Auman and Ken Jameson,

Thank you for the information and things to do---I will try them both.

Bob Jennings