Mesa Boogie Mark 1 Reissue

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jerry Malvern

Mesa Boogie Mark 1 Reissue

Post by Jerry Malvern »

I have a chance to get one of these amps, it's about 2 years old. Combo with a single 12 speaker. Anybody using it for pedal steel, and what did it cost new and what is it worth today? Amp looks new.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I didn't buy it, but I did try one out with my pedal steel, as well as for guitar. Actually, I liked it using the clean settings. Pretty strong and clean, not so far different from a Twin Reverb, but the reverb isn't perhaps as lush. Sounded good with steel and a jazz box, but was too loud for me with a Tele. Of course, I think you should try it out before buying it - this stuff is so subjective.

The list price on this was, I believe, around $1300. I'd probably grab a used one myself if I could get it in the $600-800 range.

Beware - YMMV.
Mitch Druckman

Post by Mitch Druckman »

Maybe b0b could chime in on this. I saw him play at last year's SW Steel Guitar Convention and he was playing through a Mesa Boogie 112 combo amp. A very distinctive sound and way different than a Peavey. I'm not sure if it was a Mark 1 or a newer model.
Jerry Malvern

Post by Jerry Malvern »

b0b, you out there?
Reid Fletcher

Post by Reid Fletcher »

Jerry--Go to page three in electronics and look under the thread Mesa Boogie 2: Fifty (Reid Fletcher). Bob put a few words about his amp on it. Reid
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I own a Mesa Mark I reissue. Mine has a EVM 300 watt speaker in it at the moment. I play through it in my music room sometimes, and it has a distinctive sound. In channel 2 with the master volume at eight or so, and the volume at 2 it has a good clean, warm sound. As previously stated, the reverb is not like a Fender, but more subtle. I have never played mine in a live scenario, so I cannot comment on that.
I guess the drawback would be with an EVM (or other heavy speaker) the weight is about equal to a twin reverb. Not easy on the back. Still, it gets a good old time warm sound, less sterile than my solid state amps. Good luck,
Lefty
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

I'm not a PSG player, but I have a friend that lets me use his with my Fender and it has a lovely tone; I was quite surprised frankly, as I am not a Boogie fan. They tend to sound more full and open and sparkly. I'd use one in a minute if I could afford it.
Jerry Malvern

Post by Jerry Malvern »

I bought it, fast forward to today. Great amp but its heavy. In really good shape with light duty case. Seems they gave gone up as Mesa aint making them today. Whats the value today? thanks
Dave Stagner

Post by Dave Stagner »

I’m currently using a ‘77 Mark I (not a reissue) with pedal steel, and it works great. Mine has a JBL K120, which makes it even better. I’m using it with an A/B box so I can also plug guitar in, but I’m finding that my guitar settings and PSG settings are fairly different, so guitar gets compromised.
I don’t believe in pixie dust, but I believe in magic.

1967 ZB D-10
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders