Gotoh tuners going bad...

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Thomas Bryan Eaton

Gotoh tuners going bad...

Post by Thomas Bryan Eaton »

Greetings Friends!

I've got a Fessenden SD-10 here with a couple Gotoh tuners that are malfunctioning in different ways.

1st string tuner's nut appears to be stripped as it won't tighten anymore. It's just the small screw on the outside and the string tension that keeps it in place.

2nd string's tuner will get "stuck" if I'm tuning down, then after more de-tuning will eventually "release" and drop way lower. No issues tuning up at this point.

I emailed Jerry Fessenden and he said he didn't have any more.

Curious if anyone here knows where I might be able to find some, the Gotoh's online now look a little different...

Bonus points if anyone in Nashville has any!

Thanks!

Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Some steel guitar machines had longer posts due to the thickness of the keyheads.

If Jerry couldn't provide any leads, probably the best thing is to take one of them off and shop it around the many guitar stores/repair shops around Nashville try and match it up with something from the same era of mfg. They usually keep replaced or salvaged ones from used guitars.
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

Try Stewmac or Allparts. If the knobs are different, they can probably be swapped from the old ones.