Sea of Heartbreak (Jimmy Buffett ) fill tabs

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

Michael Devous

Post by Michael Devous »

Howdy from Big Sky Country!

I am a newbie to the pedal steel - at least since last summer (although have been a member of this Forum since 2006 in connection with my father's passing and trying to find a good home for all his "stuff"). At age 65, I decided I would take a stab at trying to learn to play this great instrument using the remaining pedal steel that he owned that has been sitting in its case since his passing in 2002. It's principally an MSA S12 that was the result of splitting a double neck (D12) MSA that was owned by his good friend Harley Brendal. I have very limited instructional opportunities in my area but have taken the Paul Franklin "Foundations" course and have spent a lot of seat time "tinkering". Having some basic foundation, I am trying to "teach myself" by also listening to various songs and trying to replicate what I am hearing.

That being said, the pedal steel parts on the song "Sea of Heartbreak" by Jimmy Buffett seems to have some very straightforward fills/pads that I have been trying to replicate. This Forum is a wealth of resources - but I cannot seem to find exactly what I am looking for. Are there any brilliant ears out there that can give me some guidance?

Thanks in advance!

Mike in Montana
Michael Devous

Post by Michael Devous »

Charles Forsyth

Post by Charles Forsyth »

Dear Michael,

DeWitt Scott's book on how to accompany a band on pedal steel is full of classic fills for steel guitar and is an excellent instructional book, great concept and execution.
There are tons of familiar fills that you can adapt to your playing

I have posted a short video on my Twitter account of me playing to a track from Scotty's book, just search @ChuckG700 on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/ChuckG700 The playing needs some polish!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Back-Up-Pedal- ... 1513468286

Yours aye.

Charles.
GFI SD10 and Fender Champion 100 amp. Goodrich OMNI. Zoom MS-70 CDR.
Michael Devous

Post by Michael Devous »

Hey Charles,

Thanks for sharing your Twitter link and your insight on fills and accompanying a band. With regard to this song, I am finding that patience and a lot of replaying at a slower speed gets me close. Not having experience to draw from, it's basically trial and error by ear. I am also realizing there is a personal "style" to the fill aspect. I believe the next stop on my learning journey (along with the DeWitt Scott book you recommended) would be to enroll in Paul Franklin's "Applications" course to expand on the "Foundations" course.

Regards,

Mike
Charles Forsyth

Hey Mike, hope your well...

Check-out Christo Huntingdon's YouTube videos as he takes the viewer through his daily journey of learning to play steel guitar and his experience with Paul Franklin's tuitional course which is higly recommended. Too expensive for me. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FVDl2OVcUI

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... tdCmDzUDWI

The DeWitt Scott book I refer to has four versions of 'Someday I'd Like To Play The Steel Guitar' Each version has different intro's, endings, breaks and fills. Version 3 shows you what players did in the 1940's and 50's when they did not have pedal steel guitars. There are other songs to play to including Amazing Grace and the Walbash Cannonball, Great Speckled Bird, Scotti Blues. You will find tons of fill ideas in this book!

I my opinion, this is one book that every budding steel player should have in their inventory of learning materials.

If you go to Amazon and look inside the book, (preview) you will see the TAB and standard notation for the first song, (the first song is almost complete in the free preview!).

Yours aye.

Charles.
Michael Devous

Post by Michael Devous »

Charles,

Christo Huntington is totally awesome!! I have been following him for some time now (since last August) and just today tried to replicate his Day 484 exercise with fairly good success. Feels good to make this 12 string "sing"! I wish I had started out at his age and had my dad teach me - didn't have any interest in it at the time. I will take your advice and order the DeWitt Scott book shortly - I believe are a number of his books that might be worthwhile investing in as well.

All my best,

Mike
Charles Forsyth

Mike,

Check-out Greg Cutshaw's web site, he has posted tons of stuff there that will keep you occupied for hours! He has produced so many free TABs, many are fills. He has backing tracks for a lot of his TABs too! There are many equipment and guitar reviews too. Enjoy!

I started playing at age 61. I reckon I might get the hang of it by the time I reach 110! :lol: Playing steel is a bit like gardening, you never stop learning.

The BBC journalist, (steel player) Matt Allwright says, 'The steel guitar is a Gordian Knot of an instrument, played by Jedi'.

I have always wanted to be a Jedi! :D

A Gordian Knot being the knot that is almost impossibe to undo! Anyone that could untie the knot, would be destined to rule Asia, so the saying goes...

Here is the link...

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/

Yours aye.

Charles.