Look At Us FILLS

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

Austin Harper

Look At Us FILLS

Post by Austin Harper »

I'm very specifically trying to find tab for the fills John Hughey played on the Vince Gill recording.

I've seen the intro and solo available in many places, most notably johnhughey.com. I also see a tablature book on there from the John Hughey CD but I'm assuming that's an instrumental version. Which is probably awesome, but not what I'm looking for. If someone owns it and that's not the case, please let me know and I'll just get that!

Anyone have any leads? I can get close on my own but I'm missing some really cool details that I'd like to know how to play
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Austin

Below is what I hear going on - 'might get you into the Ballpark........or at least the Parking Lot adjacent to the Ball Park

Let me know what you think - constructive criticisms welcome.

Ron

Austin Harper

Post by Austin Harper »

Thanks for sharing Ron! Since I posted this I think I've gotten near the ballpark too and decided to post what I've been playing. What's cool to see is how we've been getting the same licks on different string groups. Some of yours play a little easier to me, like the first fill in the second verse after "look at you".

The one that I still don't feel like I've got is after "look at us" at 1:33. There's a really cool "falling" thing going on that I just can't match. John sure was a monster player!

Hopefully this is legible, I don't have a scanner or great handwriting
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Austin -

'similar to your review of my quick attempt, I prefer some of what you tabbed out.....Voicings, string timbre, etc.

("two heads are better than one")

I've incorporated some of both of our work into the below tab and will put it into my tool box

Thanks !

Ron