Gratitude for Great Sellers

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Dave Grafe

Gratitude for Great Sellers

Post by Dave Grafe »

It's all too easy and common to complain when things go sideways and never say a word when all is well. There is always a risk in purchasing used gear, even in a trusted venue such as the forum, and sometimes a lot of money is involved with premium instruments, so when an expensive piece of gear arrives in unusable or misrepresented condition the heat can become substantial in a hurry. If you're a forum veteran you have no doubt seen the smoke and flames.

On the other hand the vast majority of transactions here are smooth, cordial, even delightful, but rarely receive any attention. On that account I want to give a shout out to several forum members from whom I have recently purchased pedal guitars and other gear and who have made my life the better for the encounter. The list is not complete but these folk deserve a grateful shout out for doing what they do.

I have purchased superb pedal steel guitars from Jon Light, Mike DiAlesandro, and Tommy Detamore, every one of them so well set up that all that was required to make them gig-worthy was adjusting the levers to my skinny knees and tuning them up, laughing all the way. It has not always been the case, as my friends and saviors Lynn Stafford and Tommy Cass can attest.

Also we have a gem in our midst in JBL recone master Jeffrey Maxwell, another who continues to do great work with humility.

Lastly, a shout out to Tom Bradshaw, Jim Palanscar, and Michael Yahl, who have all consistently gone above and beyond on my behalf.

AND...words cannot possibly express the debt owed to all who take the time and put in the effort to keep this forum running, I know I am not alone in saying it has been a life-changing and sustaining presence.

Gratitude, the gateway drug to unbridled joy.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Nice post Dave. I've also had great experiences both purchasing and selling on the forum and have had a chance to meet many forum members that way. A few of them have evolved into best friends and lasting relationships beyond the steel guitar. Many thanks to b0b for what he created and to the steel guitar, an instrument that has been transformative for me.
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Well said, Dave.
Jon Kostal

Post by Jon Kostal »

I agree! I've sold and purchased a few expensive items and never even considered something might go wrong, and nothing ever did! Before I retired I was an automotive service tech and most of the feedback I received was negative, nothing about the good job I did. I think this forum is the greatest tool for steel players ever. When I started in 1978 here in the Chicago area, there were no resources whatsoever. I was delighted to find the PSGA which was my only way of knowing what was going on. Tom Bradshaw's catalog was an informative wish list! There was a steel column in Guitar Player magazine which was helpful. Winnie Winston's book is THE Best instruction method! Great post, Dave!
Nick Fryer

Post by Nick Fryer »

I’ve often thought there should be a section on the forum where sellers and buyers could be rated. A way to document and create a history and track record of sales. In addition, a creation of a document that outlines a code of standards and ethics when selling that sellers and buyers could agree upon and depend upon.
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

Perfectly stated Dave...I too have had many superb transactions with the excellent folks here on the SGF..honest,kind and a pleasure every time.This site is a true gift.
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

I submit a mention for Johnie King, who is a consistant seller of quality instruments on this Forum.
Peter Wilson

Post by Peter Wilson »

On the subject of great sellers - I recently bought my first pedal steel from Patrick Timmins who opened a pedal steel store here in Seattle (see https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=378234)

Patrick has been great - he found an appropriate guitar for me, set it up, gave me a 101 lesson, pointed me at the Paul Franklin course, and has been very patient answering my questions over email.

Thanks Patrick!
Aaron Feder

totally agree!

Post by Aaron Feder »

I have had many great interactions here- I would like to shout out to Jon Hyde, who sold me a great Williams steel for a great price and great "customer service" so to speak! hehe
Tab Tabscott

Ditto

Post by Tab Tabscott »

I’ve horsetraded with Dave for years.
I remember meeting a couple of times in a parking lot midway between Portland and Seattle to do deals. One time the deal was so good that Dave threw in a strat without telling me.
I love that strat and still play it all the time.
You da man Dave!
Tab Tabscott

Play nice.

They is none else.
Mike DiAlesandro

Re: Ditto

Post by Mike DiAlesandro »

Tab Tabscott wrote:I’ve horsetraded with Dave for years.
I remember meeting a couple of times in a parking lot midway between Portland and Seattle to do deals. One time the deal was so good that Dave threw in a strat without telling me.
I love that strat and still play it all the time.
You da man Dave!
Yeah, Dave is a great guy to deal with, and Tab ain’t so bad either… 😉
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

You guys :roll: