How Long to Re-Humidify Acoustic guitar?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Dennis Brooker

How Long to Re-Humidify Acoustic guitar?

Post by Dennis Brooker »

Long>short - About 20 years ago I bought a NIB acoustic parlor guitar and never strung it up - Thought about selling it on CL and a guy replied that before I sold it the neck would need to be re-set, and a lot more things done as in the present state it was to dangerous to put strings on - I'm going to put an extended nut on for lap playing - It's only a $300.00 guitar at retail....Soooo I've put a humidifying tube in it and freshen it every day so how long before it's SAFE to string it up and play it?

I've been away from this list and playing for more than a few years for reasons I won't bore this list with - I'm wanting to try and start playing again - Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Jeff Highland

Post by Jeff Highland »

It's NOT an issue.
That guy was misinforming you, perhaps deliberately.
Don't overhumidify, just string it up. adjust the truss rod if necessary and go for it
Duesenberg Fairytale
1949 Supro Supreme
1950 National New Yorker
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

Well, it's probably not an issue at least. We can't tell for certain without seeing the guitar - but neither can some guy on Craigslist who's never seen it in person.
Ryan Wells

Post by Ryan Wells »

I'm not a luthier, but I think the tubes are best for maintaining the moisture content within a certain pre-existing range. for guitars that are really dehydrated, I've heard of luthiers putting a wet sponge in the bottom of a large leaf and lawn trash bag, then suspending the guitar in it (without the guitar touching the bag) and hang it for several days.
Jeff Highland

Post by Jeff Highland »

WHY do you think the guitar needs humidifying?
Has it been stored in a low humidity situation?
Is it showing cracks or other distress?

Being stored without strings does not do any damage or lead to the need for humidifying unless it is in a very dry location.
Duesenberg Fairytale
1949 Supro Supreme
1950 National New Yorker
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

Not had strings on it for 20 years? I'd tune it up loosely, where the strings are not rattling but maybe not up to concert pitch. Take a look at the neck joint, look for any bellying at the bridge or other distortions, let it get used to string tension. And then proceed. There are lots of gentle humidifier solutions. If you're on a budget, cut a fresh potato or apple in half, and stash that in hour case. Not elegant, but functional.
GFI Expo S-10PE, Sho-Bud 6139, Fender 2x8 Stringmaster, Supro consoles, Dobro. And more.
Dennis Brooker

THANKS for all help and info!!

Post by Dennis Brooker »

I appreciate all help and info - I'll proceed with caution and report any thing out of the unusual!
Dennis Brooker

Poto of the guitar in question

Post by Dennis Brooker »